Transitioning to a raw food diet is an exciting experience, but it can also be an overwhelming one because you’ll be eating raw fresh food as your main source of calories. There is a lot to learn to ensure that you don’t undereat and therefore sacrifice your health on this new diet. Whether you’re the only raw vegan in your family or group of friends or just have a busy lifestyle and don’t like to cook, here are some helpful tips to make a raw vegan diet easier and more practical!
1. Meet With A Dietitian
An RDN will work with you to go over your health goals and concerns and create a personalized plan to help you achieve all your goals. Your RDN will also carefully consider your unique medical history, lifestyle, culture, food traditions, diet history, eating patterns, and personal preferences when developing your plan. Once you come up with a solid plan and figure out how to make meals that you enjoy that fit in with the raw vegan lifestyle, you’re much more likely to stick with it in the long run!
To find a dietitian near you, visit Find a Dietitian.
2. Always Have Snacks On Hand
Snacks are the name of the game when it comes to staying full while eating raw. If you have a busy lifestyle and you’re always on the go, it would be helpful to prepare some raw vegan snacks in advance. This will ensure that you’re not tempted to go through a drive-through when you’re starving.
3. Don’t Be So Hard On Yourself
There’s nothing wrong with easing into the raw vegan lifestyle. If you try and completely change your diet overnight, you’re less likely to stick with it in the long run. You can start with one raw vegan dinner a week and slowly move up to one full day a week, and before you know it, you’ll have gone fully raw! Giving your body and your mind some time to adjust to this big dietary change is the smart way to go.
4. Still Go Out to Eat With Friends And Family
While it may be a little daunting to go out to eat as a raw vegan, that doesn’t mean you need to isolate yourself and miss out on all the fun of going out to eat. With a little planning ahead, you’ll forget what you were worrying about in the first place. Depending on where you live, there may be more or less raw vegan options. However, with a simple call ahead, you can make sure there are options for you, and most often, restaurants are willing to make special accommodations to fit your diet restrictions.
5. Try A Meal Delivery Service
Nowadays, being raw vegan is easier than ever before. Whether you have a crazy work schedule or just prefer not to cook, you may want to consider trying out a meal delivery service. There are plenty of services that will bring healthy, delicious food right to your door. Meal delivery services are great for people who are new to plant-based eating and are not sure what ingredients to buy or how to cook with them. There’s something for almost every budget and need!
There’s no need to let yourself get overwhelmed with all this new information. If you take things one day at a time and implement tips at your own pace, you’ll have a much more enjoyable experience. And don’t forget to get creative with your recipes and have fun on your raw vegan journey!
- Why the American Diet Needs a Break from Meat and Dairy – For the Planet’s Sake
- This Is The Most Harmful Animal Product in the American Diet
- Many Americans’ Diets Aren’t Helping Them Prevent Cancer
- If Americans Switched From Meat-Heavy to a Plant-Based Diet, It Would Be Equivalent to Taking 660 Million Cars Off the Road
- New Documentary Explores Americans’ Diets and Health
- New Survey Finds More Americans Are Restricting Their Daily Diets. Find Out What They’re Cutting Out!
Easy Ways to Help the Planet:
- Eat Less Meat: Download Food Monster, the largest plant-based Recipe app on the App Store to help reduce your environmental footprint, save animals and get healthy. You can also buy a hard or soft copy of our favorite vegan cookbooks.
- Reduce Your Fast Fashion Footprint: Take the initiative by standing up against fast fashion Pollution and supporting sustainable and circular brands like Tiny Rescue that are raising awareness around important issues through recycled zero-waste clothing designed to be returned and remade over and over again.
- Support Independent Media: Being publicly funded gives us a greater chance to continue providing you with high-quality content. Please consider supporting us by donating!
- Sign a Petition: Your voice matters! Help turn petitions into victories by signing the latest list of must-sign petitions to help people, animals, and the planet.
- Stay Informed: Keep up with the latest news and important stories involving animals, the environment, sustainable living, food, health, and human interest topics by subscribing to our newsletter!
- Do What You Can: Reduce waste, plant trees, eat local, travel responsibly, reuse stuff, say no to single-use plastics, recycle, vote smart, switch to cold water laundry, divest from fossil fuels, save water, shop wisely, Donate if you can, grow your own food, volunteer, conserve energy, compost, and don’t forget about the microplastics and microbeads lurking in common household and personal care products!
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.