Breading your food adds a whole new dimension of taste and texture. You get that crispy outer layer contrasted with a soft and tender filling. Plus, the variety of foods that can be breaded is only limited to your imagination! Here are 12 plant-based breaded recipes you’ll want to add to your permanent rotation!
1. Breaded Portobello Mushroom Steaks
These Breaded Portobello Mushroom Steaks by Emilie Heck are the perfect main course for date nights or dinner parties. The dish is glamorous enough to impress your guests but easy enough that you don’t need to spend all day looking for exotic ingredients or toiling over an oven. That’s a win-win! Portobello mushroom caps are marinated in red wine, then coated in an herbed breadcrumb crust that is crisp, delicious, and savory.
2. Breaded Jackfruit Cutlet
Source: Breaded Jackfruit Cutlet
Young, tender jackfruit is steamed and then shredded to give it the texture of pulled pork and then combined with potatoes and shaped into patties. They’re breaded and fried, so they’re crispy on the outside with a soft, but meaty texture on the inside. Serve this Breaded Jackfruit Cutlet by Anupa Joseph on a bun with lettuce, tomato, and onions, or serve them on their own with a side of vegetables.
3. Breaded Zucchini Stack With Cashew Cheese
Have a lot of zucchini and don’t know what to do with it? This Breaded Zucchini Stack With Cashew Cheese by Iva Mrdjanov is a great, simple meal option. All you have to do is bread and fry the sliced zucchini and then layer on some stuffing of your choice and creamy cashew cheese sauce.
4. Crispy Breaded Mushrooms
Source: Crispy Breaded Mushrooms
Crispy on the outside, soft and moist in the middle. These “meaty” mushrooms with a salty, savory coating make a fab appetizer for guests… or a fun snack solo. Not only are these Crispy Breaded Mushrooms by Kimmy Murphy gluten-free, but they’re also oil-free, too! Pair with cool, tangy vegan ranch dressing or your favorite dip.
5. Thai Red Curry With Breaded Tofu
Source: Thai Red Curry With Breaded Tofu
This Thai Red Curry With Breaded Tofu by Jasmine Briones is a super easy way to spice up a bowl of brown rice and broccoli instantly. The main component of this dish is crispy, breaded tofu which is made by battering tofu cubes in flour and bread crumbs and then baking them until golden brown. The whole entrée comes together with the deliciously savory sauce which is made with fragrant Thai red curry paste and soy sauce. Simple but oh-so nourishing!
6. Breaded Seitan Patties With Shiitake Sauce
These Breaded Seitan Patties With Shiitake Sauce by Dina Honke will probably remind you of those crispy patties you can find in the frozen food aisle — they’re crunchy, savory, and best of all, addictively meaty. You can serve them with the Shiitake mushroom sauce, but they’ll go well with anything, from salsa to just plain ketchup. Serve them on buns like burgers and add all of your favorite toppings.
7. Crispy Kohlrabi Sandwich With Tamari Shallots
This recipe makes two of the most delicious sandwiches you (and your friend) will ever taste. The lightly breaded, tender kohlrabi is topped with tangy caramelized shallots and crisp cucumbers. This Crispy Kohlrabi Sandwich With Tamari Shallots by Nadine Horn and Jorg Mayer is the best thing you’re going to taste between two pieces of bread.
8. ‘Chicken’ Tofu Strips and Waffles
Think it’s impossible to emulate the crispy fried deliciousness of chicken strips using only plant-based ingredients? Think again. These breaded tofu strips are warm and textured, flavorful thanks to basil and thyme, and very dip-able, just like your typical chicken strip. Serve these with waffles for a vegan version of the comforting favorite or with fries for a classic diner dish. These ‘Chicken’ Tofu Strips and Waffles by Kiran Shahbaz are spectacular!
9. Turnip ‘Scallops’ de Provence
Source: Turnip ‘Scallops’ de Provence
This is a recipe that will give you an incredible turnip scallop – crispy on the outside and fork-tender in the middle. The lightly breaded turnips are breaded and then pan-seared in a garlic-infuse (it’s made during the process of cooking the other ingredients) oil and then topped with a light, subtle white wine reduction. This Turnip ‘Scallops’ de Provence by Annie McGee is a meal that you’ll want to show off.
10. Sweet Chili Cauliflower Wings
Source: Sweet Chili Cauliflower Wings
These Sweet Chili Cauliflower Wings by Robin Browne are all things sweet and spice. They are breaded, loaded with flavor, and vegan to boot. The outside of the cauliflower is toasty, and the inside is soft and baked. And once the crispy cauliflower is topped with the sweet chili sauce, you’ll be smacking your lips and digging in for more.
11. Spicy Chipotle Onion Pakoras
Source: Spicy Chipotle Onion Pakoras
These Spicy Chipotle Onion Pakoras by Jenny Mustard are super yummy and yet ridiculously healthy. Breaded with chickpea flour, these only look heavy. They’re nice and light and go wonderfully on top of a salad. Alternatively, you can serve these as an appetizer with some vegan mayo to balance out the spice.
12. Parmesan Tofu Bites
Source: Parmesan Tofu Bites
This is the ideal bite-sized, finger food for parties! These little bite-sized Parmesan Tofu Bites by Gretchen Price are cheesy and crisp! Here is a quick easy recipe for crispy tofu breaded with Parmesan crust and topped with tomato sauce and vegan mozzarella cheese!
Easy Ways to Help the Planet:
- Eat Less Meat: Download Food Monster, the largest plant-based Recipe app on the App Store to help reduce your environmental footprint, save animals and get healthy. You can also buy a hard or soft copy of our favorite vegan cookbooks.
- Reduce Your Fast Fashion Footprint: Take the initiative by standing up against fast fashion Pollution and supporting sustainable and circular brands like Tiny Rescue that raise awareness around important issues through recycled zero-waste clothing designed to be returned and remade over and over again.
- Support Independent Media: Being publicly funded gives us a greater chance to continue providing you with high-quality content. Please consider supporting us by donating!
- Sign a Petition: Your voice matters! Help turn petitions into victories by signing the latest list of must-sign petitions to help people, animals, and the planet.
- Stay Informed: Keep up with the latest news and important stories involving animals, the environment, sustainable living, food, health, and human interest topics by subscribing to our newsletter!
- Do What You Can: Reduce waste, plant trees, eat local, travel responsibly, reuse stuff, say no to single-use plastics, recycle, vote wise, switch to cold water laundry, divest from fossil fuels, save water, shop wisely, Donate if you can, grow your own food, volunteer, conserve energy, compost, and don’t forget about the microplastics and microbeads lurking in common household and personal care products!
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.