Think its impossible to emulate the crispy fried deliciousness of chicken strips using only plant-based ingredients? Think again. These breaded tofu strips are warm and textured, flavorful thanks to basil and thyme, and very dip-able, just like your typical chicken strip. Serve these with waffles for a vegan version of the comfort favorite or with fries for a classic diner dish.
‘Chicken’ Tofu Strips and Waffles [Vegan]
- 1 14-ounce block extra firm tofu
- 1 cup bread crumbs (gluten-free if necessary)
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon basil
- 1/2-1 teaspoon salt, to taste
- 1/4 olive oil
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Press the tofu.
- Mix the breadcrumbs with all the spices into a bowl and set aside.
- Pour the olive oil into a separate bowl and set aside.
- Oil a baking sheet and set aside.
- Cut the tofu into strips. Taking one tofu strip at a time, gently dip the strip into the bowl of oil. Make sure it's completely covered in oil.
- Once the tofu strip is nicely oiled, dip it into the breadcrumb mixture, ensuring that it is completely coated in the breadcrumbs. Place the bread covered strip onto the baking sheet. Repeat for the rest of the tofu strips.
- Bake at 400°F for about 20-30 minutes, flipping the strips over once in between.