Want to serve a show-stopping main on Thanksgiving that's not un-turkey or stuffed squash? Look no further than this decadent pumpkin risotto. It's creamy, rich, and delicious – and because it's both vegan and gluten-free, it will satisfy everyone at the table!
Creamy Pumpkin Risotto With Sweet and Spicy Roasted Pepitas [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
For the Risotto:
- 1 large onion, minced
- 3 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1 cup arborio rice
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 4 cups vegetable stock
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup puréed pumpkin (fresh or canned is fine)
- 1 tablespoon thyme, chopped
For the Sweet and Spicy Roasted Pepitas:
- 1/2 cup raw pepitas
- 1 teaspoon high heat oil of choice
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon maple syrup
- Generous pinch of salt
To Make the Risotto:
- Bring the vegetable stock to boil in a medium-sized pot, then reduce heat to low and simmer, covered.
- In a large pot, warm coconut oil over medium heat. Add onions and saute until translucent, then add arborio rice and salt, stirring until well-coated. Add the white wine and stir, simmering until wine is absorbed, then add the stock from the first pot a bit at a time, waiting until it's absorbed before adding any more and returning the stock to simmer between. Keep stirring.
- When you add your last round of stock, add the minced garlic. When the final stock has absorbed, add the pumpkin and thyme and stir while cooking for five minutes more. Top with roasted pepitas and serve immediately.
To Make the Pepitas:
- Preheat oven to 300°F.
- Toss pepitas to coat evenly with oil, chili, maple syrup, and salt, then spread in a single layer on a baking sheet and bake for 15-20 minutes, or until golden brown, stirring halfway through.