Crispy on the outside, soft and moist in the middle. These "meaty” mushrooms with a salty, savory coating make a fab appetizer for guests… or a fun snack solo. Not only are these crunchy bites gluten-free, they're oil-free, too! Pair with cool, tangy vegan ranch dressing or your favorite dip.
Crispy Breaded Mushrooms [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
For the Wet Ingredients:
- 1/2 cup almond milk
- 1/2 cup vegetable broth
- 2 teaspoons tamari (or coconut aminos for a soy-free version)
For the Dry Ingredients:
- 16 ounces Baby Bella mushrooms
- 1/2 cup gluten-free bread crumbs (see notes)
- 1/2 cup brown rice flour
- 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast
- 1/4 teaspoon each dried garlic, oregano, dill, and paprika
- If you are using the oven, preheat the oven to 350°F. Wet a paper towel and clean your mushrooms by wiping and patting them.
- Combine all of the wet ingredients in one medium bowl and place all of the mushrooms in the bowl to marinade while you prepare the dry ingredients. Put all of the dry ingredients together and stir them together. Using slightly damp hands, take each mushroom individually and dredge it through the dry mixture.
- If using the oven, place on a parchment-lined baking sheet and bake for 25 minutes. If using an air fryer, place the mushrooms in the basket and cook for 10 minutes at 350°F, shaking halfway through.
Make your own breadcrumbs by taking the end pieces of a loaf of bread and putting them in a food processor until they break down into crumbs. Store them in the freezer in an airtight container.