These spicy onion pakoras are super yummy and yet ridiculously healthy. Breaded with chickpea flour, these only look heavy. They're actually nice and light, and go wonderfully on top of salad. Alternatively, you can serve these as an appetizer with some vegan mayo to balance out the spice.
Spicy Chipotle Onion Pakoras [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- 3 onions, sliced
- A pinch of salt
- 1 cup chickpea flour
- 1 teaspoon chipotle
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 tablespoon dried coriander or cilantro
- Juice from 1/2 of 1 lime
- 1 cup water
- Kale, for salad (optional)
- Tomato, for salad (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- Sprinkle the onion slices with salt and let sit while you prepare the batter.
- Mix the dry ingredients first, then add the lime juice and gradually the water. the amount of water needed varies with brand of flour. The batter shouldn’t be too moist, just wet enough to hold together without crumbling or sticking to your fingers.
- Fold in the onion slices and form pucks. Place on a parchment paper-lined tray and bake for about 10-15 minutes on each side. You can fry them in a pan instead of baking if you prefer, but if so you probably need some oil.
- Remove from oven and serve.