Pepperoni, in its meaty form, is a type of smokey salami sausage seasoned with paprika and various types of chilies. It is probably most famously known for adorning the top of meat lovers’ pizza.
Not only are there various vegan pepperoni products out there for you to buy, but there are also some recipes for homemade vegan pepperoni. Whether you are buying a premade vegan pepperoni, or you are going to have a go at making your own, check out these recipes that will inspire some plant-based pepperoni fun.
1. Crispy and Smoky Pepperoni Made From Tofu
Let’s start with a recipe for making your own pepperoni. With this under your belt, you’ll have a starting point for all the OGP recipes that call for vegan pepperoni. Alena Grahn‘s Crispy and Smoky Pepperoni Made from Tofu is crispy, smoky, salty, and a little sweet. It is perfect for chopping up and putting on your homemade pizzas. You could also serve it with vegan cheese and crackers as an appetizer.
2. Pepperoni Pizza Burger
Here we have a veggie burger that is seasoned to remind you of pepperoni pizza. This Pepperoni Pizza Burger by Jenn Sebestyen and Kelli Foster is a TVP-based burger that you can enjoy on a burger bun topped with vegan mozzarella for even more of a pizza experience.
3. Pepperoni Pizza Pasta With Homemade Mozzarella
Still, not quite a traditional pizza, but this Pepperoni Pizza Pasta With Homemade Mozzarella by Melanie Sorrentino should hit the spot. This is a big bowl of comfort food, for sure. Get yourself a generous bowl of pasta, then cover it in stretchy and stringy homemade mozzarella. Cut slices of store-bought or homemade vegan pepperoni and dot them all over the top.
Source: Pepperini/One Green Planet
Here we have another inventive idea for making your own vegan pepperoni. In this Pepperini recipe by Olivia Andrews, the secret ingredient is thinly sliced zucchini rounds. These little disks are then seasoned with smoked paprika, chili flakes, garlic, and oregano. You can use it up right away, or store it for later use.
5. Sourdough Pizza With Homemade ‘Pepperoni’
And now for a full-on pizza recipe, including homemade vegan pepperoni. Travis Piper‘s Sourdough Pizza With Homemade ‘Pepperoni’ is great comfort food and so much fun to make. You need a sourdough starter for this recipe, but never fear if you haven’t got one. They are easy to get going with just some flour and water. Next, gather up all your spices to make your own pepperoni.
6. Vegan Pepperoni Pan Pizza
In yet another pepperoni twist, daikon radish is the special ingredient needed for this Vegan Pepperoni Pan Pizza by George Lee. With this recipe, you will not only be impressing your friends with your homemade pepperoni, but you’ll be whipping up homemade tomato sauce, homemade mozzarella, and homemade pizza dough, too.
7. Pepperoni Pizza Zoodles
The pepperoni in this Pepperoni Pizza Zoodles recipe by Danielle Dewar is made from purple carrots and beets. These zucchini noodles make a great gluten-free alternative to wheat pasta dishes. The ‘zoodles’ are tossed in a homemade marinara sauce and topped with vegan cheese sauce, and, of course, ‘pepperoni’.
8. Beet ‘Pepperoni’ Pizza
Here is another recipe that takes the humble beet and transforms it into vegan pepperoni. Alicja Rokicka‘s Beet ‘Pepperoni’ Pizza is super delicious and easy to make. Once you have your dough made, you can top it with all your favorite pizza toppings, but be sure to add this spicy, marinated beet-based pepperoni.
9. Baked Potato Pizzas
These Baked Potato Pizzas by Chris Bartis are hearty and delicious. They make a great alternative to bread-based pizza while giving you all the classic pizza flavors of vegan cheese, tomato sauce, and of course, your favorite vegan pepperoni, be it beet-, carrot-, zucchini- or tofu-based!
10. Zucchini Pepperoni Pizza
Let’s end with a more traditional-style pizza. This Zucchini Pepperoni Pizza recipe by Florian Nouh takes thinly-sliced zucchini pieces and marinates them in the perfect pepperoni spice blend. Cover your pizza crust in a homemade spicy tomato sauce and pile on your zucchini pepperoni and vegan cheese.
Easy Ways to Help the Planet:
- Eat Less Meat: Download Food Monster, the largest plant-based recipe app on the App Store to help reduce your environmental footprint, save animals and get healthy. You can also buy a hard or soft copy of our favorite vegan cookbooks.
- Reduce Your Fast Fashion Footprint: Take the initiative by standing up against fast fashion pollution and supporting sustainable and circular brands like Tiny Rescue that are raising awareness around important issues through recycled zero-waste clothing designed to be returned and remade over and over again.
- Support Independent Media: Being publicly funded gives us a greater chance to continue providing you with high-quality content. Please consider supporting us by donating!
- Sign a Petition: Your voice matters! Help turn petitions into victories by signing the latest list of must-sign petitions to help people, animals, and the planet.
- Stay Informed: Keep up with the latest news and important stories involving animals, the environment, sustainable living, food, health, and human interest topics by subscribing to our newsletter!
- Do What You Can: Reduce waste, plant trees, eat local, travel responsibly, reuse stuff, say no to single-use plastics, recycle, vote smart, switch to cold water laundry, divest from fossil fuels, save water, shop wisely, donate if you can, grow your own food, volunteer, conserve energy, compost, and don’t forget about the microplastics and microbeads lurking in common household and personal care products!