Pepperoni pizza as a burger? Whhaaaat? For extra pizza goodness, place some shredded vegan mozzarella on the top of your burger during the last few minutes of cooking to get it all nice and melty.
Pepperoni Pizza Burger [Vegan]
- 1 tablespoon (8 g) freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon (7 g) paprika
- 1 teaspoon whole aniseed
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon chipotle powder or cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon (8 g) garlic powder
- 1 cup (96 g) TVP granules
- 1 cup (235 ml) water
- 2 tablespoons (30 ml) liquid smoke
- 2 tablespoons (30 ml), plus 1/4 cup (60 ml) olive oil, divided
- 6 ounces (170 g) tomato paste
- 1 cup (144 g) vital wheat gluten flour
- 1/3 cup (80 g) non-dairy sour cream
- Oil, for frying (optional)
- In a microwave-safe dish, combine the pepper, paprika, aniseed, salt, red pepper flakes, sugar, basil, chipotle powder, garlic powder, TVP, water, liquid smoke, and 2 tablespoons (30 ml) olive oil. Cover tightly with plastic wrap and microwave on high for 5 to 6 minutes. Alternatively, bring the water to a boil and pour over the TVP mixed with the spices, oil, and liquid smoke, cover, and let sit for 10 minutes. Let cool.
- Add the tomato paste, flour, remaining 1/4 cup (60 ml) oil, and sour cream to the cooled TVP mixture. Using your hands, mash everything together and form into 6 patties.
- You can panfry, Air-Fry, or bake these with great results. Panfry in just a smidge of oil for 5 minutes per side over medium-high heat, or until a nice crispy crust forms. Air-Fry at 375°F (190°C) for 16 to 18 minutes. Or bake them at 350°F (180°C, or gas mark 4) on a baking sheet lined with parchment or a silicone baking mat, uncovered, for 30 minutes, flipping halfway through.
Tip: Make the ultimate pizza pockets using premade pizza dough! Preheat your oven to 425°F (220°C, or gas mark 7). Line a baking sheet with parchment. Divide the dough into 6 pieces, and roll out thin on a well-floured surface. Place a dollop marinara or pesto on one half of the dough, add a Pepperoni Pizza Burger on top of the sauce, and place a handful of mozzarella shreds on top. Fold the other half of the dough over and seal the edges with the tines of a fork. Slice 2 to 3 vent holes in the top with a sharp knife. Brush lightly with melted butter and sprinkle with a pinch of dried basil and paprika. Bake for 12 to 15 minutes, or until the crust is golden.