So I bet you are wondering what exactly vegan Pizza Zoodles are...well, they are wonderful! Here is what is going on in this epic zucchini noodle bowl: zucchini noodle base, cheezy vegan sauce made mostly from vegetables ( NO nutritional-yeast, NO soy, NO seeds. NO nuts), marinara sauce, homemade vegan pepperoni slices (purple carrot or beet based vegan meat!), oregano and evoo drizzle for extra pizza flavour. I think everything in this bowl is totally delicious on its own. I debated eating the vegan cheezy sauce as a rich bowl of soup...luckily for you I had other plans!
Pepperoni Pizza Zoodles [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- 2 purple carrots or red beets or both, sliced into super thin but not see through thin pieces
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- A few cranks of fresh cracked black pepper
- Pinch pink salt
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
Cheeze sauce roasted veg base:
- 1 cup peeled and chopped butternut squash
- 1/4 small red onion, peeled and chopped
- 2 new potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, deseeded and chopped
Cheese sauce base:
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 tbsp buckwheat flour (optional but makes a much oozier texture for the sauce)
- 1/4-1/2 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp or more garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp ground coriander
- 1/4 tsp ground cumin
- Big pinch pink salt
- 1-2 tsp sauerkraut brine
- Small squeeze lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- Water to thin
- 1-2 tbsp coconut milk powder
- 2 zucchinis
- Tomato sauce
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Preheat oven to 430F
- Toss your veg slices with remaining ingredients in a bowl to coat. Arrange evenly on a parchment paper lined baking sheet. Roast in the hot oven. The pepperoni is done when it has roasted until it is crisp around edges but chewy in the middle.
- Arrange these vegetables on a parchment paper lined baking sheet. Roast in 430 F oven at the same time as the "pepperoni". Remove these vegetables when the squash is tender and soft.
- Steam the potatoes until tender. Add the peppers and steam till very tender. Remove from heat.
- Heat the oil and flour together over medium heat until a paste forms.
- Add 1.5 cups water, the spices and stir well until mix is smooth and thickened. Add the roasted and steamed cheeze sauce vegetables. Cook together one minute then remove from the heat and puree in a blender or with a stick blender until as smooth as possible. At this point I added a little more water and blended it in to thin the sauce a bit.
- Return to the heat and add brine and lemon juice and coconut milk powder, stirring constantly until the mix is smooth again.
- Add extra coconut oil if desired and cook down the sauce until smooth and creamy. Taste and adjust the saltiness and garlic to your taste.
- To make it even cheesier add 1 tbsp nutritional yeast. Once satisfied, reduce heat to low and make your noodles.
- Spiralize your zucchinis. Divide between two large bowls.
- Divide cheeze sauce on top of each zoodle serving.
- Add a few spoonfuls of tomato sauce to each serving, not too much. Then divide the pepperoni slices between each serving on top.
- Sprinkle each bowl with a little oregano, black pepper and olive oil. Serve immediately.
Roasted vegetables for CHEEZE SAUCE should be made at the same time as the vegetables in the "pepperoni"recipe on separate baking sheets.