Wild rice is a Minnesota staple, and we are always finding ways to incorporate it into our comfort food dishes. The rice has a wonderfully nutty flavor that adds depth to this soup and the slightly toothsome texture gives it a little something special.
Black-Eyed Pea and Wild Rice Soup [Vegan]
- ½ cup Wild Rice
- 2 cups + 6 cups Water or Broth
- 2 tbsp Vegetable Bouillon Powder
- 3 cups cooked Black-Eyed Peas
- ½ tsp Red Pepper Flakes
- ½ tsp Salt
- ½ tsp Pepper
- ¼ tsp Ground Cayenne
- ½ bunch Kale, chopped
- Add the wild rice and 2 cups of water or broth to a large soup pot.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover, and simmer for 15-20 minutes. Rice should still have some bite to it.
- Add another 6 cups of water or broth, the black-eyed peas, and spices.
- Mix well, bring to a boil, cover and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Add the chopped kale and simmer another 10 minutes. Serve warm!