This vegan sourdough pizza is so flavorful and perfect for when you’re craving comfort food! If you have the time to plot out some next-level pizza production in your own kitchen, consider this atypical yet totally delicious pie! The crust is sourdough, which adds plenty of flavor to the dish. Top it with homemade vegan pepperoni and you have a winner of a dinner. This vegan sourdough pizza is a show-stopper!
Sourdough Pizza With Homemade ‘Pepperoni’ [Vegan]
Ingredients You Need for Sourdough Pizza With Homemade ‘Pepperoni’ [Vegan]
For the Sourdough Crust:
- 1 cup sourdough starter
- 1 cup warm water
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon sea salt
- 1 cup semolina flour
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
For the Pepperoni Sausages:
- 2 teaspoon each garlic powder, onion powder
- 1 tablespoon crushed fennel seed
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 teaspoons sea salt
- 2 teaspoons sweet paprika
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 2 teaspoons oregano
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon powdered sage
- 1 teaspoon chipotle powder
- 1 medium onion (diced)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 5 cloves garlic (minced)
- 3 cup cooked red beans
- 1 cup pre-roasted tofu or diced mushrooms (your
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1/2 cup nutritional yeast
- 3/4 cup vital wheat gluten
- 2 tablespoosn all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons xanthan gum
- 4-5 tablespoons vegan Worcestershire sauce
- A few drops liquid smoke
- 4-5 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1-2 teaspoons sea salt
For Frying the Sausages:
- Olive oil
- Smoked paprika
- Soy sauce
- Liquid smoke
How to Prepare Sourdough Pizza With Homemade ‘Pepperoni’ [Vegan]
To Make the Sourdough Crust:
- Mix the first four ingredients together, then slowly add flour until you get a soft, pliable dough. Cover it with plastic wrap and let it sit at room temperature for as long as it needs to at least double. This may be upwards of 24 hours depending on your environment. Let it go about 4 hours, punch it down, fold it over a few times, and stick it in the refrigerator for at least 10 hours, but for as long as a week. Flavor and texture build with time.
- When you're ready for it, work this recipe into two halves on a floured board; cover them with delicious veggies as you see fit.
- Bake for 13-15 minutes at 475°F, or as high as your oven will go.
To Make the Pepperoni Sausages:
- Mix the spices together and set aside.
- Pan fry the onion and garlic in olive oil until starting to get brown. Set aside to cool.
- Mash the beans and tofu with a potato masher or pulse in the food processor, but leave lots of whole beans and chunks. Mix the spices in with the beans, and add the remainder of the sausage ingredients. Mix together well before adding the cooled veggies.
- Steam the sausages in foil. Once the sausages are done, allow them to cool in the fridge.
- Slice them thin and fry them up in a hot skillet with olive oil and assorted spices.
- Add on top of your pizza as you see fit.
Report Recipe Issue
Please report any concerns about this recipe below!
Is there an issue with this recipe?
Total Calories: 4268 | Total Carbs: 743 g | Total Fat: 99g | Total Protein: 296 g | Total Sodium: 17036 g | Total Sugar: 35 gNote: The information shown is based on available ingredients and preparation. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.