Source: The Gentle Barn
The Gentle Barn shared this incredibly heartwarming video of a rescuer talking to a turkey about Thanksgiving and showing how they prepare them for the holiday. The woman has Paloma, the turkey, sitting in her lab, and she is petting her. She starts to tell Paloma that tomorrow is Thanksgiving, which means that we get to celebrate her life, honor her, and bring her pies and treats.
“Get a good night’s sleep because tomorrow it’s all about you and how much we love you and helping other people to learn to love turkeys as well.”
The Gentle Barn is a sanctuary for abused and neglected animals. They’ve provided a home to emus, cows, pigs, horses, goats, turkeys, and more. This holiday season, instead of cooking a turkey, why not become a turkey guardian? For a one-time donation of $35 (or $150 for the entire flock), you could help contribute to giving The Gentle Barn turkeys a peaceful and healthy life away from the shackles of factory farming.
Like all factory-farmed animals, turkeys are taken from their mothers and kept in tiny, unsanitary conditions. In addition to the general abuse that turkeys inevitably suffer at the hands of farmers, turkeys have part of their beaks and toes cut off. Many turkeys also suffer broken legs as a result of genetic modifications that make them grow large extremely fast. They live short, painful lives before they are slaughtered in a variety of extremely painful and cruel ways.
This holiday season, please consider ditching turkey and other animal products for plant-based alternatives. Not only are they delicious, but they also don’t cause needless suffering and abuse towards animals.
Check out these 10 adorable turkeys that are so cute they might change your perspective and convince you to leave turkeys off your dinner plate for good!
- These Rescued Turkey Babies Love the Camera! [Video]
- Rescued Turkeys, Rodney and Emily, Find Forever Home in Time for the Holidays! [Video]
- Touching Video of Woman Giving Turkey a Full-Body Massage Will Make Your Day [Video]
- Meet Faye, the Rescued Turkey Who loves to Explore [Video]
- Happy Thanksgiving and (Un)Happy Turkey Day
- 10 Videos of Turkeys So Cute You’ll Want to Leave them Off Your Thanksgiving Table!
- 7 Delicious Ways to Celebrate Thanksgiving Without the Turkey
- Another Reason to Leave Turkey Off the Menu This Thanksgiving: Genetically Modified Turkey
- 8 Sanctuaries Where You Can Sponsor or Adopt a Turkey This Thanksgiving
Easy Ways to Help the Planet:
- Eat Less Meat: Download Food Monster, the largest plant-based recipe app on the App Store to help reduce your environmental footprint, save animals and get healthy. You can also buy a hard or soft copy of our favorite vegan cookbooks.
- Reduce Your Fast Fashion Footprint: Take the initiative by standing up against fast fashion pollution and supporting sustainable and circular brands like Tiny Rescue that are raising awareness around important issues through recycled zero-waste clothing designed to be returned and remade over and over again.
- Support Independent Media: Being publicly funded gives us a greater chance to continue providing you with high-quality content. Please consider supporting us by donating!
- Sign a Petition: Your voice matters! Help turn petitions into victories by signing the latest list of must-sign petitions to help people, animals, and the planet.
- Stay Informed: Keep up with the latest news and important stories involving animals, the environment, sustainable living, food, health, and human interest topics by subscribing to our newsletter!
- Do What You Can: Reduce waste, plant trees, eat local, travel responsibly, reuse stuff, say no to single-use plastics, recycle, vote smart, switch to cold water laundry, divest from fossil fuels, save water, shop wisely, donate if you can, grow your own food, volunteer, conserve energy, compost, and don’t forget about the microplastics and microbeads lurking in common household and personal care products!