All plant-based foods contain benefits, but some, well, they surprise us more and more every day with the amazing ways they can boost our health and well-being. One of these is cashews. This healthy nut isn’t just deliciously creamy and can act as a substitute for eggs, butter, cheese, and even yogurt, but it’s also pretty incredible for your brain. All nuts and seeds contain beneficial fats, B vitamins, and magnesium for a healthy mood, but cashews are one of the few linked to reducing not just anxiety but also warding off general stress and even mild depression.
Nutrients in Cashews that Beat the Blues
Source: Cashew Butter
Cashews are a tiny package of iron, magnesium, Vitamin B6, protein and important amino acids, and even omega 3 fats. All of these nutrients directly ward off mild depression and anxiety naturally. Here’s how:
Cashews are one of the best sources of the amino acid tryptophan among all plant-based foods. This amino acid is critical for improving the uptake of serotonin in the brain and acts as a direct precursor to the anti-depressant hormone itself. So without tryptophan in our diets, we not only can’t produce serotonin as effectively, but our bodies also can’t use the amount of serotonin that we do have. A depletion of serotonin can make us feel anxious, stressed, and just downright sad. Tryptophan is found in many plant-based foods but is incredibly dense in cashews with 1000-2000 milligrams per 1/4 cup serving. (Other good sources in lower amounts are bananas, pumpkin and pumpkin seeds, almonds, and sweet potatoes, just to name a handful.)
Cashews are also richer in magnesium than the more well-known nut, almonds. Magnesium is critical to a healthy mood and nervous system, helping treat anxiety and depression as a result. Magnesium also fights low blood sugar that can contribute to anxiety, and cashews contain roughly 83 milligrams per serving.
Calming Vitamin B6
Vitamin B6 in cashews helps with the uptake of serotonin in the body as well. Both Vitamin B6 and tryptophan work to create a relaxed, zen state that helps fight a sour or anxious mood. Vitamin B6 also reduces depression and improves overall brain health by helping magnesium reach cells more effectively. Cashews are one of the best sources, along with avocados, pumpkin seeds, bananas, pumpkin, greens, chia, and sweet potatoes.
The healthy fats in cashews are also crucial for a balanced mood and for preventing depression. A low-fat diet may be necessary for those with specific heart health issues, but little healthy fat each day is important for your mood and heart health, specifically monounsaturated fats like nuts and seeds. Cashews are one of the best sources of monounsaturated fats and, as a result, can help keep your brain healthy to ward off depression naturally.
The Bottom Line on This Incredible Nut
Source: Cashew Milk
Dr. Andrew Saul, featured in the popular film Food Matters, even says that cashews are such a win for depression and stress that they provide the same mood-boosting effects equivalent to Prozac! Though we can’t make any promises, consuming 1/4 cup per day is a great way to try it out for yourself due to the nutrition powers this humble nut holds.
Depression is a serious mental health issue, not to be taken lightly, so please, don’t assume that eating cashews every day will cure depression on their own. Yet, keep in mind that the nutritional benefits this nut has to offer do show to be promising in balancing brain health naturally, in correspondence with an otherwise healthy diet. Eating plenty of plant-based foods and staying clear of processed foods are also important to ward off the blues and jitters naturally.
Source: Cashew Cream
If you don’t already love cashews as much as we do, try some of our cashew recipes, such as nut butter, oatmeal, energy bars and bites, vegan cheese, and homemade cashew milk. What a delicious way to take care of our brains and bodies!
We also highly recommend downloading our Food Monster App, which is available for iPhone and can also be found on Instagram and Facebook. The app has more than 15,000 plant-based, allergy-friendly recipes, and subscribers gain access to new recipes every day. Check it out!
Products to Help with Anxiety and Stress:
- Bach RESCUE REMEDY Dropper for $20.83
- Dr. Danielle Stress Lift Capsules for $24.95
- Happy Healthy Hippie Be Grounded Capsules for $22.95
- Mary Ruth’s Kava Liquid Drops for $17.95
- Understanding Stress: Tips and Plant-Based Foods to Unwind
- How to Reduce Your Cortisol and Kiss Your Morning Stress Goodbye!
- What Are Nervine Herbs and Why You Should Be Using Them For Stress Relief
- 8 Vegan Magnesium-Rich Lotions to Manage Anxiety, Reduce Stress, and Get Better Sleep
- 10 of the Worst Foods and Drinks for Anxiety
Easy Ways to Help the Planet:
- Eat Less Meat: Download Food Monster, the largest plant-based Recipe app on the App Store, to help reduce your environmental footprint, save animals and get healthy. You can also buy a hard or soft copy of our favorite vegan cookbooks.
- Reduce Your Fast Fashion Footprint: Take initiative by standing up against fast fashion Pollution and supporting sustainable and circular brands like Tiny Rescue that raise awareness around important issues through recycled zero-waste clothing designed to be returned and remade over and over again.
- Support Independent Media: Being publicly funded gives us a greater chance to continue providing you with high-quality content. Please consider supporting us by donating!
- Sign a Petition: Your voice matters! Help turn petitions into victories by signing the latest list of must-sign petitions to help people, animals, and the planet.
- Stay Informed: Keep up with the latest news and important stories involving animals, the environment, sustainable living, food, health, and human interest topics by subscribing to our newsletter!
- Do What You Can: Reduce waste, plant trees, eat local, travel responsibly, reuse stuff, say no to single-use plastics, recycle, vote smart, switch to cold water laundry, divest from fossil fuels, save water, shop wisely, Donate if you can, grow your food, volunteer, conserve energy, compost, and don’t forget about the microplastics and microbeads lurking in common household and personal care products!
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.