Nike debuts a new vegan sneaker made with pineapple-based leather, Hypebeast reports. In a collaboration with the brand Piñatex, Nike is using the material for the vegan collection called “Happy Pineapple.”
The sneakers receiving the pineapple treatment include Air Force 1, Air Max 95, Air Max 90, two Air Zoom-Types and the Free Run Trail. The line also includes a women’s Air Force 1 colorway exclusive.
The sneakers each have a small pineapple logo on the tongue, as well as different color schemes to complement, like “Coconut Milk” and “Green Glow.” Pineapple leather is awesome. It was invented and patented by Ananas Anam, who called it Piñatex. They are the only company that makes this plant leather and are dedicated to making their production as eco-friendly as possible!
“This extra-sweet edition of the Air Force 1 merges the classic silhouette with juicy hues and clever details paying homage to a summertime staple: pineapple. The look is anchored by shades of Green Glow and Light Bone, but the theme is more than skin-deep—the design features shimmering Piñatex® foil made from the by-product of pineapple harvests. An embroidered graphic on the tongue highlights the style’s organic inspiration,” says the description of the Women’s Air Force 1.
Piñatex also announced the launch on Instagram. Their caption reads, “This summer has just gotten sweeter. Nike merges their innovative silhouettes with juicy hues and clever details paying homage to a summertime staple – the pineapple. Piñatex has been used on the brand’s iconic models in key parts of the shoe together with other sustainable materials such as cork.”
View this post on Instagram
Read more vegan fashion and eco-friendly clothing news in One Green Planet, check out these articles:
- Serena Williams Debuts Vegan Line
- Gucci’s New Vegan Sneaker
- Kanye Talks About Making his Clothing Brand Yeezy Eco-Friendly
- Billie Eilish’s Eco Collab with H&M
- Nike Debuts Vegan Sneakers
- Celeb Favorite Brand Soludos Launches Vegan Sneakers
- Adidas is Making Sneakers Out of Plastic Ocean Waste!
- Reebok Makes Their Sustainable Cotton and Corn Sneakers Cruelty-Free!
- Stella McCartney Makes World’s First Clothes from Bio-Based Mushroom Leather
- Leather Is More Than “a By-Product of the Meat Industry”
- Hugo Boss Steps Up Cruelty-Free Fashion Game With Vegan Shoe Line Made With Pineapple Leather
- 4 Sustainable Vegan Leather Alternatives
For more Animal, Earth, Life, Vegan Food, Health, and Recipe content published daily, subscribe to the One Green Planet Newsletter! Also, don’t forget to download the Food Monster App on iTunes — with over 15,000 delicious recipes it is the largest meatless, vegan, and allergy-friendly recipe resource to help reduce your environmental footprint, save animals and get healthy! Lastly, being publicly-funded gives us a greater chance to continue providing you with high-quality content. Please consider supporting us by donating!