Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.
Leather is not eco-friendly, ethical, or sustainable, but now many other leather alternatives are coming out, like apple leather and mushroom leather!
Source: DW News/Youtube
Mushroom leather is made from, you guessed it, mushrooms. Mushroom leather is vegan, sustainable, and environmentally friendly. The leather alternative is made from mycelium, the underground root structure of mushrooms. Mycelium is a network of filaments that form underground thread-like structures. Mycelium can is extremely beneficial for the environment, and mushrooms take very little water to grow compared to other foods.
The animal industry creates an incredible amount of emissions, and many chemicals are needed to produce leather. The chemicals and emissions go into our air and waterways, which is one of the driving forces behind climate change.
Mushroom leather is made by selecting and moisturizing the right substrate, according to The Vou. Substrates are the materials that mushrooms use as food and where they grow, like wood chips, straw, corn, and other materials. The substrate is then dampened, put into a bag, and pasteurized to kill interfering bacteria so that the mushrooms can grow quickly and uninterrupted.
Once the mycelium grows, it is inserted into the bags, and the fungi start the colonize. Growing takes little water and energy and can take between two to three weeks. Once it’s ready, the mycelium is compressed into the shape and size needed.
This, however, is not the only way to make mushroom leather, and experts continue to find new ways to make this leather alternative better and with fewer resources. Mushroom leather can help fight plastic Pollution, animal welfare, and Climate change. It is biodegradable, and many mycelium technology companies have been collaborating with big fashion brands for this leather alternative.
Mushroom leather proves that there can be more ethical and sustainable alternatives to leather that could even come from very unlikely sources like mushrooms. The leather alternative industry is skyrocketing, and now it’s hard to justify purchasing cruel leather that is connected to the suffering and killing of billions of animals.
According to PETA, the leather industry kills more than one billion animals every year. We hope leather alternatives will continue to gain popularity. Companies are finally taking a stand against fur, why not leather?
Sign this petition to stand up against leather!
- Leather Can Never be Eco-Friendly: Dismantling the Industry’s Logic About Sustainability
- 5 Big Brands Making Recycled and Vegan Leather Shoes
- Mycelium Technology Company Collaborating With Fashion Brands on Vegan Leather Alternatives
- 20 Stylish and Comfy Non-Leather Winter Boots For Men and Women!
- What to Wear Instead of Leather and Fur This Season
- 4 Reasons Leather Can Never Be Sustainable
- 4 Sustainable Vegan Leather Alternatives
- Leather Is More Than a By-Product of the Meat Industry
- Stella McCartney Makes World’s First Clothes from Bio-Based Mushroom Leather
- You Can Now Get Cruelty-Free Handbags Made With Mushroom Leather!
- Mushrooms are Replacing Cows in More Ways Than One – First Meat, Now Leather!
Easy Ways to Help the Planet:
- Eat Less Meat: Download Food Monster, the largest plant-based Recipe app on the App Store to help reduce your environmental footprint, save animals and get healthy. You can also buy a hard or soft copy of our favorite vegan cookbooks.
- Reduce Your Fast Fashion Footprint: Take initiative by standing up against fast fashion Pollution and supporting sustainable and circular brands like Tiny Rescue that are raising awareness around important issues through recycled zero-waste clothing designed to be returned and remade over and over again.
- Support Independent Media: Being publicly-funded gives us a greater chance to continue providing you with high-quality content. Please consider supporting us by donating!
- Sign a Petition: Your voice matters! Help turn petitions into victories by signing the latest list of must-sign petitions to help people, animals, and the planet.
- Stay Informed: Keep up with the latest news and important stories involving animals, the environment, sustainable living, food, health, and human interest topics by subscribing to our newsletter!
- Do What You Can: Reduce waste, plant trees, eat local, travel responsibly, reuse stuff, say no to single-use plastics, recycle, vote smart, switch to cold water laundry, divest from fossil fuels, save water, shop wisely, Donate if you can, grow your own food, volunteer, conserve energy, compost, and don’t forget about the microplastics and microbeads lurking in common household and personal care products!