Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.
For most people, dogs and pigs are wildly different animals. One is considered a family member, a bedfellow, a best friend – while the other is considered … well, bacon. But the truth is, these two animals are actually incredibly alike. Pigs can learn tricks, they love to snuggle, and they’re highly social animals. And the same premise holds true for all farm animals: they’re sentient, emotionally complex creatures deserving of just as much respect, compassion and love as any household companion animal.
However, because most people only observe these animals when they’re (sadly) on their plates – and not in their living, loving form – it is easy to think these creatures are somehow different from beloved companion animals. After all, if we saw goats, pigs, and chickens in the same light we saw cats and dogs, how would we be able to justify the differences in how we treat them?
The good news for farm animals is, people are beginning to make this connection and see that farm animals are not too different for our other four-legged friends. So as a little reminder (with thanks to all the amazing farm sanctuaries out there), here’s proof that farm animals are just like our cats and dogs:
1. Farm animals LOVE to give kisses!
2. Barnyard babes have favorite toys too.
3. Pigs are all about the snuggles.
4. Even goats have bath times (yes, they’re just as reluctant as dogs and cats).
5. They know their names and come running when you call.
6. Farm animals look forward to walks too!
7. Scooby snacks? More like Piggy snacks!
8. They form strong bonds with humans.
9. Farm animals have best friends and cows even have “Queen Bees” in their crowd.
10. Belly rubs are universally appreciated.