During his speech, he also touched on his feelings about couples who prioritize having pets over children. Needless to say, he isn’t pleased with them.
He said that people who have pets instead of children are “selfish” and exhibit a “denial of fatherhood or motherhood” that “diminishes us; it takes away our humanity. ”
He added that dogs and cats “take the place of children,” creating a childless future.
With such a controversial topic as having children, the reactions were naturally heated. Many people pointed out the hypocrisy of the Pope, himself, for speaking out against going childless when he doesn’t have children himself!
What is selfish, is the inability to support those children because of greedy corporations and politicians who will not raise wages and support healthcare. As much as we'd adore to, we can't take care of those little ones with only love, Padre.
— Lunar Pandora (@lunap172) January 5, 2022
One person even asked, “Is the Vatican gonna pay daycare?”
Others noted how strange it is to create an “either-or” situation when it comes to kids and pets. People can adopt animals and be pet parents while being parents to children simultaneously.
The Pope’s message could be harmful to rescue animals. There are so many pets in need of homes, and promoting a message of “kids over pets” instead of encouraging families to choose both could make an impact on pet adoption rates.
For a man named after Francis of Assisi, patron saint of animals, it’s strange to hear such anti-animal rhetoric, especially at a time when rescue animals need our help more than ever.
Want to help homeless pets? To reduce the number of suffering dogs on the streets and dogs who are euthanized, it’s important to adopt instead of shop for a dog. Familiarize yourself with tips for adopting so you’re well prepared and read about five things you can do to help stop puppy mills. Also read more about the reasons everyone should adopt a pet and tips for creating the perfect home for a rescue pet!
- The Pope Says Coronavirus and Climate Change are Linked
- Pope Francis Encourages Young Climate Activists
- Pope Francis Calls for Passage of Civil Union Laws for Same-Sex Couples in New Documentary About His Life
- Prince William’s New Climate Change Documentary
- “It is Necessary to Act with Urgency,” Says Pope Francis in Reference to Climate Crisis
- Pope Francis Issues Foreboding Warning for World Leaders to Stop Using Fuels That Are Threatening the Future of Civilization
- Pope Calls for Action on the Amazon Rainforest!
- Awesome 12-Year-Old Activist Challenges Pope Francis To Eat For The Planet For Lent
For more Animal, Earth, Life, Vegan Food, Health, and Recipe content published daily, subscribe to the One Green Planet Newsletter! Lastly, being publicly-funded gives us a greater chance to continue providing you with high-quality content. Please consider supporting us by donating!