“Earthlings” filmmaker Shaun Monson has a new documentary coming soon on the death of activist Regan Russell. The documentary will premiere on November 7 at 3:00 pm Eastern. The movie is called “There Was a Killing.”
Russell was peacefully protesting and bearing witness to pigs headed for slaughter with other activists. She was killed when an animal transport truck driver struck her. The film goes into detail on what happened before and after the truck driver struck her, and additional information around the investigation, including interviews with attorneys and a former livestock trucker. The film also looks at Ontario’s Bill 156 and the impact of that legislation on the industry and Russell’s death.
Russell was a prominent figure on the Canada animal activist scene. Joaquin Phoenix, who attended a vigil for Russell after her death, shared this, “Regan Russell spent the final moments of her life providing comfort to pigs who had never experienced the touch of a kind hand. While her tragic death has brought upon deep sorrow in the Animal Save community, we will honor her memory by vigorously confronting the cruelties she fought so hard to prevent by marching with Black Lives, protecting Indigenous rights, fighting for LGBTQ equality, and living a compassionate vegan life. The Ontario government can attempt to silence us with the passage of its Ag-Gag bill – Bill 156 – but we will never go away and we will never back down. My heart goes out to the Toronto Animal Save community and to Regan’s lifelong partner, Mark Powell.”
Source: Animal Save Movement/Youtube
You can learn more about the premiere and the film through the Facebook event information.
You can read more about Russell and her work here. Russell was also fighting against Canada’s new Ag-Gag bill, Bill 156. And read more about animal activists, check out Joaquin Phoenix’s other activism and his girlfriend Rooney Mara going undercover to film a factory farm.
Click to sign this petition against Bill 156 in Ontario!
Read more about ag-gag laws and factory farms in One Green Planet:
- Elizabeth Warren Joins Cory Booker’s Bill to Close all Factory Farms in the United States by 2040
- Why Ag-Gag Laws Are a Threat
- North Carolina “Anti-Sunshine Law” Struck Down! No More Civil Penalties for Exposing Animal Cruelty
- How WE Can Defeat Ag-Gag Legislation
- Victory! 11 States That Have Shut Down Ag-Gag Bills and How They Did It
- Record Number of Environmental Activists killed in 2019, According to New Report
- New Documentary Tells the Story of How a Dairy Farmer and an Animal Activist Joined Forces to Save Animals in Germany
- New Documentary Produced by Joaquin Phoenix “The Animal People” Follows Animal Activists Charged With Terrorism
- ‘Ag-Gag’ Movement Spreads to Australia as Public Figures Call Animal Activists ‘Terrorists’
- Joaquin Phoenix Attends Vigil for Slain Animal Rights Activist
For more Animal, Earth, Life, Vegan Food, Health, and Recipe content published daily, subscribe to the One Green Planet Newsletter! Also, don’t forget to download the Food Monster App on iTunes — with over 15,000 delicious recipes it is the largest meatless, vegan, and allergy-friendly recipe resource to help reduce your environmental footprint, save animals and get healthy! Lastly, being publicly-funded gives us a greater chance to continue providing you with high-quality content. Please consider supporting us by donating!