Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.
Booker’s Farm System Reform act makes new large factory farms illegal, and it forces existing farms to plan to stop expansions and operations within 20 years. Rep. Ro Khanna is the other cosponsor and is bringing the legislation to the House.
In a statement, Warren said, ” For years, regulators looked the other way while giant multinational corporations crushed competition in the agriculture sector and seized control over key markets. The COVID-19 crisis will make it easier for Big Ag to get even bigger, gobble up smaller farms, and lead to fewer choices for consumers. We need to attack this consolidation head-on and give workers, farmers, and consumers bargaining power in our farm and food system. I’m glad to partner with Senator Booker and Representative Khanna to start reversing the hyper-concentration in our farm economy.”
Booked said recently in a statement, “Our food system was not broken by the pandemic and it was not broken by independent family farmers. It was broken by large, multinational corporations like Tyson, Smithfield, and JBS that, because of their buying power and size, have undue influence over the marketplace and over public policy. That undue influence was on full display with President Trump’s recent executive order prioritizing meatpacker profits over the health and safety of workers.”
And read more about recent updates on factory farming including Antibiotic Resistance in Humans Tied to Factory Farms and We’re Eating Sick Animals and Getting Deadly Diseases Because the USDA Won’t Uphold Basic Welfare Standards in Slaughterhouses.
Read more coverage of coronavirus and the meat industry in One Green Planet, check out these articles:
- We Need to Adjust our Diets Post-Coronavirus
- Multiple Meat Production Plants Close as Pandemic Spreads
- Pork Producers Plan to Kill Baby Pigs Unless they Get $1 Billion Government Bailout
- Delaware Plant Forced to Kill 2 Million Chickens Due to Staff Shortages Caused by Coronavirus
- Hundreds of Meat and Poultry Workers Sick from COVID-19
- One of the Largest U.S. Pork Processing Plants Closes After Over 200 Workers Tested Positive for COVID-19
Sign this petition to stop laws that make it possible to hide animal suffering at factory farms:
Easy Ways to Help the Planet:
- Eat Less Meat: Download Food Monster, the largest plant-based Recipe app on the App Store to help reduce your environmental footprint, save animals and get healthy. You can also buy a hard or soft copy of our favorite vegan cookbooks.
- Reduce Your Fast Fashion Footprint: Take initiative by standing up against fast fashion Pollution and supporting sustainable and circular brands like Tiny Rescue that are raising awareness around important issues through recycled zero-waste clothing designed to be returned and remade over and over again.
- Support Independent Media: Being publicly-funded gives us a greater chance to continue providing you with high-quality content. Please consider supporting us by donating!
- Sign a Petition: Your voice matters! Help turn petitions into victories by signing the latest list of must-sign petitions to help people, animals, and the planet.
- Stay Informed: Keep up with the latest news and important stories involving animals, the environment, sustainable living, food, health, and human interest topics by subscribing to our newsletter!
- Do What You Can: Reduce waste, plant trees, eat local, travel responsibly, reuse stuff, say no to single-use plastics, recycle, vote smart, switch to cold water laundry, divest from fossil fuels, save water, shop wisely, Donate if you can, grow your own food, volunteer, conserve energy, compost, and don’t forget about the microplastics and microbeads lurking in common household and personal care products!