A worker at a zoo in Shanghai was killed by a bear, in full view of visitors. Shanghai Wildlife Park promised to step up safety measures after a worker was fatally attacked in front of a tourist bus. This is yet another reason why zoos are dangerous and harmful.
Shanghai Wildlife Park said in a website statement that it was “extremely distressed that such a tragedy occurred”, adding that it also “apologised to tourists for any inconvenience caused.” The park is currently closed and also apologized to the zookeeper’s family.
A video of the incident was posted on the country’s Weibo platform. In the video, tourists yell as they sit inside the bus watching the horrific incident. The area of the park is only accessible by bus and is a part where animals are allowed to roam freely.
Source: News Hour/Youtube
In the video, a man says, “there’s someone [there]”, and someone else asks “what’s going on?”
Zoos are harmful to wildlife and do not help with conservation efforts, as they most commonly publicize. Animals are kept in small habitats and often suffer emotional distress. Sign this petition to call for a ban on zoos around the world!
Read more about why zoos are harmful to society in One Green Planet:
- What Keeping Polar Bears in Zoos and Aquariums Does to These Animals Will Shock You
- Zookeeper Attacked by Tiger is Further Proof that Wild Animals Don’t Belong in Captivity
- Zoochosis and the Many Ways We Have Failed Zoo Animals
- Zoochosis: What Really Happens to Animals in Captivity (VIDEO)
- The Truth About the Lives of Animals in Captivity Versus the Wild
- How Zoos are Distorting Our View of the Natural World
- These Were the 10 Worst U.S. Zoos for Elephants in 2017 – Let’s Change This In 2018! (VIDEO)
- 7 Lessons We Really Should Be Learning From Zoos
- Think Zoos Are Fun Places? You Need to Watch This Video
- Stunning Photos Showcase the Suffering of Animals in Zoos, Aquariums, and More
For more Animal, Earth, Life, Vegan Food, Health, and Recipe content published daily, subscribe to the One Green Planet Newsletter! Also, don’t forget to download the Food Monster App on iTunes — with over 15,000 delicious recipes it is the largest meatless, vegan, and allergy-friendly recipe resource to help reduce your environmental footprint, save animals and get healthy! Lastly, being publicly-funded gives us a greater chance to continue providing you with high-quality content. Please consider supporting us by donating!