On January 9, the Animal League Defense Fund (ALDF), filed a motion against Cricket Hollow Zoo seeking missing animals, according to an emailed press release.
In November, 2019, a judge ordered that the owners of the zoo give up all animals held at the Iowa zoo due to severe neglect and mistreatment. According to the ALDF, rescuers arrived on December 9, and many animals were missing, including five grizzly bears, two mountain lions, one wolf hybrid, one camel, several species of birds and snakes, and a fennec fox.
The organizations contempt motion seeks the whereabouts for the animals that were gone before a court-ordered rescue. Speaking in the emailed press release, Animal Legal Defense Fund Executive Director Stephen Wells, said of the situation, “We are deeply concerned about the well-being of the animals who are missing — and fear many of the animals have been sold or are deceased. We are dedicated to locating any missing animals, who were sold in violation of the court order, and ensuring their safety.”
The organization previous rescued 400 animals from Cricket Hollow Zoo in December. Cricket Hollow Zoo is one of many examples of roadside zoos allegedly harming and abusing animals. A roadside zoo in Washington State is currently under watch by animal activists. You can donate to the ALDF here.
Zoos are harmful to wildlife and do not help with conservation efforts, as they most commonly publicize. Animals are kept in small habitats and often suffer emotional distress. Sign this petition to call for a ban on zoos around the world!
Read and learn more about why zoos are not happy places for animals:
- What Keeping Polar Bears in Zoos and Aquariums Does to These Animals Will Shock You
- Zookeeper Attacked by Tiger is Further Proof that Wild Animals Don’t Belong in Captivity
- Zoochosis and the Many Ways We Have Failed Zoo Animals
- Zoochosis: What Really Happens to Animals in Captivity (VIDEO)
- The Truth About the Lives of Animals in Captivity Versus the Wild
- How Zoos are Distorting Our View of the Natural World
- These Were the 10 Worst U.S. Zoos for Elephants in 2017 – Let’s Change This In 2018! (VIDEO)
- 7 Lessons We Really Should Be Learning From Zoos
- Think Zoos Are Fun Places? You Need to Watch This Video
- Stunning Photos Showcase the Suffering of Animals in Zoos, Aquariums, and More
For more Animal, Earth, Life, Vegan Food, Health, and Recipe content published daily, subscribe to the One Green Planet Newsletter! Also, don’t forget to download the Food Monster App on iTunes — with over 15,000 delicious recipes it is the largest meatless, vegan and allergy-friendly recipe resource to help reduce your environmental footprint, save animals and get healthy! Lastly, being publicly-funded gives us a greater chance to continue providing you with high quality content. Please consider supporting us by donating!