These wood fired infused smoked beets are easy to make – just toss them on your grill. After the tender beets have been infused with a subtle, smoky flavor, finish the salad with petite greens and a zesty avocado-citrus vinaigrette. The colorful, healthy beets are perfectly complimented by this zesty vinaigrette.
Wood Fired Beet Salad With Avocado-Citrus Vinaigrette [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
For the Vinaigrette:
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon rind, finely grated
- 1/2 teaspoon lime rind, finely grated
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh jalapeño, minced
- 1 teaspoon fresh shallot, peeled, minced
- 1 teaspoon maple syrup
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons fresh avocado, cut in to little 1/4-inch cubes
For the Beets:
- 1 bunch of ruby red or golden beets
- Edible flowers
- Smoking chips
- Baby lettuces
To Make the Dressing:
- Place the first seven ingredients (lemon juice through maple syrup) in a small bowl.
- Slowly drizzle in the olive oil to emulsify with a fork or whisk.
- Add the avocado cubes, stir in.
- Let it stand for 1 1/2 hours to let the flavors blend together before serving
To Make the Beets:
- Steam your beets.
- Fold over heavy aluminum foil; puncture it with holes to make a “grill tray” for the beets.
- Smoking chips for a barbecue (found in hardware and specialty shops) are soaked in water and placed in a "V" metal smoking box, and tucked under the grates of the grill to smoke. If you don't have one, Simply make a packet out of layers of heavy foil, puncture it all over, and fill with soaked wood chips.
- Peel the beets and slice them into wedges.
- Brush them with a small amount of oil, dust them with a pinch of salt, and smoke them over the grates in a gas grill.
- After 15 minutes, the beets will be infused with a lingering smokey flavor. Turn off the heat and let them rest, in the grill, for another 10 minutes.
- Toss beets with the dressing.
- Add a bit of your favorite baby lettuces and drizzle this with some vinaigrette.
- Top the salad with edible flowers for a pretty garnish.