These "tuna" sandwiches are made from white beans and have all the best flavor components of the classic, plus added flair from cucumber and basil. Red onion, pickles, sunflower seeds, herbs, and a plant-based mayonnaise-like sauce make this dish taste remarkably close to tuna salad, especially when served as a sandwich. This tasty meal is perfect for lunch on the go.
White Bean ‘Tuna’ Sandwich With Veggies [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
For the White Bean 'Tuna' Salad:
- Juice of half a lemon
- 1/4 medium red onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup dried white beans (such as cannellini, navy, baby lima, etc.), soaked overnight in purified water and cooked
- 1/2 cup chopped English cucumber
- 1/3 cup chopped pickles
- 1/3 cup chopped olives
- 1/3 cup toasted sunflower seeds
- 1/3 cup chopped dill and/or parsley
- 1 tablespoon capers
- 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Handful basil leaves (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder (optional)
- 1/4 cup "mayo", or more to taste (recipe follows)
- Sea salt, if needed
For the 'Mayo':
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon sweet miso paste
- 1 tablespoon sunflower butter or any nut/seed butter
- 1 teaspoon Sriracha
- Juice of 1 lemon or more if needed
- Shredded red cabbage
- Tomato slices
- More whole basil leaves
- Sprouts or microgreens
To Make the 'Tuna' Salad:
- Pour the lemon juice over the chopped red onion in a small bowl and let it sit while preparing the rest of the ingredients.
- Combine the onions in lemon juice with the rest of the ingredients in a food processor. Pulse a few times, taking care not to over process; the mixture should be slightly chunky. Taste for salt and pepper, adjust if needed. Keep refrigerated in an air-tight container. Serve on good sandwich bread (use gluten free if desired), with red cabbage, tomato, more basil, sprouts/microgreens, or any other favorite sandwich add-ins.
To Make the 'Mayo':
- Combine all the ingredients, except the lemon juice, in a small bowl and mix until smooth. Add the lemon juice and combine thoroughly. Add more of the lemon juice, if needed to achieve a creamy, slightly runny consistency.