What’s the take-away message from this BBQ Lentil Meatball Sandwich with Sweet Miso Coleslaw? Who says vegans can’t have it all! It’s either that or the longer the recipe title, the better the meal. I think I’ll go with the first one.
BBQ Lentil Meatball Sandwich With Sweet Miso Coleslaw [Vegan]
Ingredients You Need for BBQ Lentil Meatball Sandwich With Sweet Miso Coleslaw [Vegan]
For the Lentil Meatball Sandwich:
- Lentil meatballs or vegan meatballs of your choice
- Barbecue sauce (recipe below)
- Sweet miso coleslaw (recipe below)
- 4 buns
For the Barbecue Sauce:
- 1 cup ketchup
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon molasses
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoons dry mustard
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1-2 teaspoon vegan smoke sauce (optional)
For the Sweet Miso Coleslaw:
- 3 cups coleslaw mix
- 1/2 cup vegan mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons vinegar
- 2 tablespoons miso paste
- 2 tablespoons agave nectar
- 1/8 teaspoon celery seed (optional)
- 1/3 teaspoon of turmeric
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 2 tablespoons chia seeds
How to Prepare BBQ Lentil Meatball Sandwich With Sweet Miso Coleslaw [Vegan]
- First, make the lentil meatballs
- Set these on a tray and place them in the freezer to firm up a bit. Then transfer them to a freezer bag and return them to the freezer for storage.
- You can make these ahead of time, or serve them right from the oven. It’s up to you.
To Make the Barbecue Sauce:
- Combine ingredients in a small bowl.
- Stir until well-combined and then set aside so the flavors can get to know each other a little better.
To Make the Sweet Miso Coleslaw:
- Combine everything but the coleslaw mix in a small bowl. Stir until well-combined. Your sauce might look a little runny. That’s okay.
- Let that stand for a bit before adding it to your coleslaw mix. You might want to dip your finger in the sauce to see if it has the right mix of flavors for you. If not, you might want to add a little bit of salt or pepper or whatever coasts your coleslaw.
- While you’re waiting, add the coleslaw mix to a medium-sized resealable bowl.
- Once the sauce has thickened a bit (thank you chia seeds), combine this with the coleslaw mix and stir until all the ingredients are incorporated.
- Seal the container and place it in the fridge while you’re putting the rest of your sandwiches together.
To Assemble Your Sandwiches:
- First, it’s nice if you can lightly toast your buns. It gives them a nice toasty taste…and a firmer platform for the lentil meatballs.
- While the buns are toasting, place however many meatballs you’ll need for your sandwiches in a bowl and pour over them just enough barbecue sauce to thoroughly cover each meatball.
- Warm the barbecue-drenched meatballs in the microwave (or on the stove-top if you prefer). Place 5 or so meatballs on the bottom half of each bun.
- Top with the sweet miso coleslaw and serve.
Report Recipe Issue
Please report any concerns about this recipe below!
Is there an issue with this recipe?
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.