This seasonal dessert is much more than sweet potato pie with pecans on it. It’s two pies combined into one! There's one layer of pecan filling over a layer of sweet potato filling, so you can have the best of both worlds. If you are looking for a pie comparable to the ones your grandma served up every year during the holidays, here it is.
Sweet Potato Pecan Pie [Vegan]
For Sweet Potato Filling:
- 1 large sweet potato or 2 medium sweet potatoes (Should yield approximately 2 cups chopped)
- 1 tablespoon of apple sauce
- 2 tablespoons of cornstarch or tapioca flour
- 3 tablespoons of coconut cream
- 1 teaspoon of orange juice or lemon
- 1/4 teaspoon of sea salt
- 1/4 cup of cane sugar
- 2 tablespoons of vegan butter
- 1/4 teaspoon of vanilla
- 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon
- 2 cups of water
For Pecan Filling:
- 3 tablespoons of applesauce
- 3 tablespoons of corn or tapioca starch
- 10 saltine crackers
- 3 tablespoons ground flax seeds
- 9 tablespoons of water
- 1/2 cup of water (not needed without crackers)
- 1/3 cup of rice syrup or coconut nectar
- 4 tablespoons of melted vegan butter, the stick kind
- 1/4 cup of cane sugar
- Pie crust (gluten-free if necessary)
- If using a pre-brought crust, thaw before use. Alternatively, prepare a homemade crust.
- Peel and chop the sweet potatoes.
- Pour water in pot and bring to a boil.
- Add in chopped sweet potatoes and boil for about 15 minutes or until soft.
- Once potatoes are done, drain in a colander and add to a mixing bowl.
- Add butter, sugar, salt, sugar, cinnamon powder, vanilla extract, coconut cream, apple sauce, and tapioca flour. Smash potatoes and combine all the ingredients.
- Taste and adjust seasonings to your liking.
- Add mixture to a food processor and mix well until smooth. Transfer mixture inside a bowl and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Add ground flaxseed and water in a small bowl and mix together until it forms a gel like substance. Set aside.
- Grab a small pot and melt butter over low medium heat.
- Add rice syrup and combine with butter until mixture is completely combined. Stir constantly for 1 to 2 minutes.
- Turn off heat. Add butter syrup mixture to a high-speed blender. Then add tapioca flour or corn starch, apple sauce, flax seed egg mixture, and sugar.Blend on high speed until mixture is thoroughly combined.
- Taste and adjust sweetness to your liking. Should be sweet enough but you can add more sugar if you desire.
- If you desire, you can crumble up some pecans and fold it into your syrup mixture or you can save that part of for last and place it on top of the pie.
- Grab your pie crust and layer it first with your sweet potato mixture. Spread evenly.
- Take you syrup pecan mixture and pour it on top of the sweet potato mixture.
- Top it off with some pecans both whole and pieces. Arrange pecans to your liking.
- Put pie in oven on bottom rack and let it cook for 30 to 40 minutes until it bubbles and its brown.
- Let cool for at least a couple of hours before slicing.