Believe it or not, sweet potatoes combined with cabbage and spices give a wonderful texture and flavor to the best veggie dogs you'll ever make. A crispy outer layer and a softness inside served on a toasted bun with ketchup, mustard, and sliced vegetables or relish, like a classic hot dog. The best part is that these homemade veggie dogs are the easiest thing to make ever and they taste awesome.
Sweet Potato and Cabbage Dogs [Vegan]
For the Sweet Potato Cabbage Dogs:
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1 green chili, chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon ginger, chopped
- 1 tablespoon garlic, chopped
- 1/2 cup green peas
- 3/4 cup cabbage, chopped
- 3/4 cup sweet potato, boiled, peeled, and mashed
- 1 teaspoon red chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garam masala powder
- Salt, to taste
- 1/4 cup corn flour
- 4 hot dog buns (gluten-free if needed)
- Tomato ketchup
- Tomato, sliced
- Onion, sliced
- Cucumber, sliced
- Chaat masala
- 1/2 lemon
- Heat a pan with oil. Add mustard seeds. When they start to sizzle, add chopped ginger, chopped garlic, and chopped onions.
- Sauté for 3-4 minutes.
- Add green peas and cabbage and sauté for 5 minutes.
- Add mashed sweet potatoes, red chili powder, garam masala powder, and salt. Mix well and cook for 3 minutes.
- Add corn flour and mix well. Cook until it starts coming together and forms a dough.
- Let it cool.
- Divide the mixture to 4 large balls.
- Take a part of the mixture on a flat surface and, start rolling the dough evenly to make it into a sausage.
- Heat a pan or grill, add a teaspoon of oil to a pan and grill on all sides for 4-5 minutes each.
- Cut the bun into 2 halves. Add lettuce and then a sausage.
- Drizzle with ketchup and mustard.
- Add slices of tomato, cucumber, and onions. Sprinkle some chaat masala a splash of lemon juice before serving.