This quesadilla is so satisfying and delicious it's going to blow your mind. It is layered with a smoky sweet potato paste, slathered with a tangy and spicy bean dip, and then filled with tender peppers, onions, and fresh spinach. Then you top all of that with a few spring onions and a dollop of guacamole and your favorite salsa.
Sweet Potato and Black Bean Quesadillas [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
For the Quesadilla:
- 1 small or medium sweet potato, peeled and cubed
- 1 teaspoon smokey paprika or make your own spice blend of chili pepper, chipotle, cumin, oregano, paprika, garlic, sea salt, onion, demerara sugar, natural mesquite smoke flavor
- 1/2 cup pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 small shallot, sliced
- 1/2 cup fresh or frozen corn kernels
- 1 teaspoon chipotle olive oil or standard olive oil
- Salt to taste
- 2-3 cups baby spinach
- Tortillas (gluten-free if needed)
- Dab vegan butter (about 1 teaspoon)
- Vegan sour cream
For the Bean Spread:
- 2 cups of black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 lime, juiced
- 7-10 dashes of chipotle hot sauce
- Salt to taste
- Peel and cube your sweet potato. Then, steam the sweet potato using a steamer basket on the stove or in the microwave.
- Once the sweet potato is fork tender, place it in a medium bowl and add chipotle seasoning and salt, to taste. Using a rubber spatula or potato masher, mash the sweet potato and set aside.
- While the sweet potato is steaming, heat a medium pan over medium/high heat.
- Drizzle olive oil into the pan.
- Add the chopped pepper, corn, and sliced shallots along with a little bit of salt. Cook this until peppers and shallots begin to soften, a little caramelize is good too.
- Remove the pan from the heat.
- In the bowl of your food processor (a mini processor is great if you have one), fitted with an s blade, add the drained and rinsed black beans, juice of 1 lime, salt, and hot sauce. Process until black bean spread is smooth - about 1-2 minutes.
- Lay your tortillas out on your work surface and start te assembly process. Spread half of each tortilla with the sweet potatoes and the other side of the tortilla with the black bean spread.
- Layer the vegetable mix equally over the black bean side of the tortilla.
- Layer baby spinach over the sweet potato.
- Bring the side of the tortilla together as if you are closing a book and repeat this with the other tortilla.
- Using the same pan as you sautée your vegetables in, heat a dab of vegan butter over medium heat.
- Place the quesadilla in the pan and cook it until it's golden brown, flip it, and cook the other side the same way. This will take about 2 minutes per side.
- Repeat this process with the other quesadilla.
- Remove the quesadilla from the pan, cut the quesadilla into 3 triangles, and serve with your favorite salsa, guacamole, vegan sour cream and/or chives.