Hearty, comforting and bursting with flavor. The juicy oranges, tangy cranberries and salty feta compliment the nutty grain serving as the base of this spelt salad.
Spelt Salad With Oranges, Cranberries, and Feta [Vegan]
Ingredients You Need for Spelt Salad With Oranges, Cranberries, and Feta [Vegan]
- 2 cups spelt berries
- 5 cups water
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 medium oranges
- 2/3 cup cranberries (naturally sweetened if you can find those)
- 1 batch of vegan feta (homemade to your favorite recipe -- here's a good one! -- or store bought)
- 5-6 scallions
- Optional: handful of almonds or sunflower seeds for added crunch
- 1/2 cup of the cooked spelt berries
- Juice of one medium orange
- 1/2 teaspoon salt (or more to taste)
- 3 tablespoons tahini
- 1 tablespoon lemon or lime juice
- 2 cloves garlic
How to Prepare Spelt Salad With Oranges, Cranberries, and Feta [Vegan]
- Bring the water to a boil in a medium pot, add the salt and spelt berries.
- Lower the heat a bit and simmer for 50-60 minutes, until the spelt softens.
- Drain and set aside to cool.
- Transfer ½ cup of the cooked spelt berries to a blender along with the rest of dressing ingredients and blend until smooth.
- Peel and segment the orange and finely chop the scallions.
- Mix into the cooked spelt berries along with the rest of the ingredients and the dressing.
- Serve right away or chill.
This salad keeps well in the fridge for 2-3 days and becomes even tastier as the flavors blend.
Report Recipe Issue
Please report any concerns about this recipe below!
Is there an issue with this recipe?
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.