A true Breakfast of Champions. Multiple layers of textures and flavors take you back to a 1950's diner. Finished with real maple syrup, this sandwich easily takes home the gold!
Shiitake and Tofu Breakfast Sandwich With Crispy Sweet Potatoes and Roasted Garlic Aioli [Vegan]
- 1 block extra firm organic tofu, pressed and drained
- 1 large handful of shiitake mushrooms, stems removed, thin sliced
- Half of a red onion, thin sliced
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon turmeric
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Ciabatta rolls, toasted
- High quality maple syrup
- 1 head of garlic peeled
- Extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup vegan mayo
- Juice and zest of 1 lemon
- 1 small handful chopped fresh parsley
- 1 organic sweet potato peeled, grated and drained
- 4 tablespoons vegan bread crumbs
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- Half of a red onion, diced
- Canola oil
- Salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Peel entire head of garlic and toss with extra virgin olive oil to coat. Seal well in foil and cook for 35 minutes. Remove and let cool.
- Add garlic, salt, pepper, vegan mayo and the juice and zest of lemon in a food processor. Combine all in food processor then place into bowl. Fold in parsley, then refrigerate.
- Prep crispy sweet potato ingredients as noted in ingredient list. Combine all in a large bowl. Mix thoroughly and form into 3-inch patties (1/2 inch thick.)
- Coat sauté pan with canola oil then heat on medium-high heat. Cook patties on each side approximately 2-3 minutes until golden brown, then set aside.
- Clean shiitake mushrooms with a damp cloth, then remove stems. Thinly slice mushrooms and red onion and set aside.
- Cube tofu into 1-inch cubes then place in large bowl. Using your hands or a potato masher, break apart tofu into small pieces (leave some larger pieces for texture).
- Coat a wok or large sauté pan with canola oil then heat on medium-high heat. Add mushrooms and red onion and sauté five minutes, stirring occasionally. Then add to the wok tofu, cayenne, and turmeric and continue to sauté for another 5-7 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside
- Slice ciabatta rolls in half and lightly toast, then brush with garlic aioli on both sides.
- Spoon on a generous amount of shiitake and tofu scramble. Then layer sweet potato patties. Drizzle maple syrup over the potatoes.
- Slice and serve with a steaming cup of coffee or your favorite breakfast beverage. Enjoy!