Beat the weekday dinner boredom with this mouthwatering marinated burger and Asian slaw. With less than 10 simple ingredients needed to make both the slaw and the burger, this makes a fuss-free weeknight meal and a great excuse to keep firing up the grill!
Sesame Ginger Marinated Portobello Burgers With Asian Slaw [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- 2 portobello mushrooms
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 2 tablespoons low sodium soy sauce or tamari
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 1 teaspoon toasted sesame seed oil
- 1 teaspoon fresh grated ginger
- 1/2 head purple cabbage, shredded (about 3 cups)
- 3 medium carrots shredded or sliced thin using a peeler
- 3 tablespoons fresh cilanto, minced
- 2 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- Squeeze of lime
- 1/2 teaspoon toasted sesame seed oil
- Handful of sesame seeds, optional
- Wipe the portobello mushrooms with a clean damp cloth. If desired, you can use a metal spoon to scale off the gills on the underside of the mushroom, I usually don’t. In a lidded container, mix all of the marinade ingredients, and then add the mushrooms. Put the lid on the container, and shake. Marinate for about a half hour or even overnight, flipping the container so both caps get marinated.
- To make the slaw, simply mix all the ingredients together in a bowl.
- Grill the mushroom caps: Preheat your grill, and grill the caps for about five minutes on both sides. I like to drizzle or brush the caps with the marinade a couple of times.
- To serve, toast burger buns if using, then add the porto-burgers and top with slaw and extra cilantro, if desired. You could also add vegan mayo or mashed avocado, onion slices, or whatever toppings you like!