Looking for a new twist on sweet potatoes? Cut out all that old, marshmallow sweet potato casserole fluff and switch up your sweet potato game with this delicious, sweet and spicy combo. Plus, these apple brandied coconut pecans are the perfect topping for pretty much anything.
Roasted Sweet Potatoes with Apple Brandied Coconut Pecans [Vegan, Gluten-free]
Ingredients You Need for Roasted Sweet Potatoes with Apple Brandied Coconut Pecans [Vegan, Gluten-free]
For the Pecans:
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne
- 1/8 teaspoon clove
- 1 1/2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 3 tablespoons apple brandy
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 3 cups pecans, halved
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened coconut, shredded
For the Sweet Potatoes:
- 2 pounds sweet potatoes, peeled, quartered, and cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, divided
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley leaves, chopped
How to Prepare Roasted Sweet Potatoes with Apple Brandied Coconut Pecans [Vegan, Gluten-free]
How to Make the Pecans:
- In a small bowl, stir together the sugar, salt, cinnamon, cayenne, and cloves.
- Place a large skillet over medium heat.
- Add the coconut oil followed by the apple brandy, vanilla, and brown sugar.
- Bring the mixture to a boil, then add the pecan halves and cook them until the liquid starts to dry and pecans are coated. This takes about 3 minutes.
- Sprinkle the sugar and cinnamon mixture over the pecans. Stir the nuts to everything combine.
- Continue cooking the nuts until the sugar has melted and coated the pecans. This takes about 5 minutes.
- Sprinkle the nuts with shredded coconut and mix to incorporate the coconut.
- Transfer to a cookie sheet to cool. Store in an airtight container until you are ready to use.
How to Make the Sweet Potatoes:
- Place the sweet potatoes and cold water in a large stock pot.
- Bring the water to 160°F and then turn off heat. Cover the pot and let it sit for 1 hour.
- After an hour, heat oven to 400°F.
- Drain the potatoes, place them in a large bowl, and toss with 3 tablespoons of olive oil and generous pinches of salt and pepper.
- Place them on a baking sheet in a single layer.
- Roast them for 30 - 35 minutes. Flipping them at the halfway mark once the bottoms are browning. During the last 3-4 minutes of roasting, toss a couple handfuls of the candied nuts in and heat them through.
- After roasting the potatoes, remove them and place them in a large bowl. Season the potatoes with 1 tablespoon olive oil and a few extra dashes of salt and pepper.
- Put the potatoes on your serving platter and drizzle with 1 tablespoon of maple syrup and a dash of fresh parsley.
Report Recipe Issue
Please report any concerns about this recipe below!
Is there an issue with this recipe?
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.