We want to share something special with you. It's one of our favorite veggie burgers of all time We give you ...baked eggplant burgers! These burgers are savory, filling and addictive. They're packed full of protein and vitamins. Above all else, they are delicious! Top them with tahini sauce, hummus, and dill pickles.
Eggplant Burger [Vegan]
- 2 teaspoons olive oil, plus more to brush on eggplant before roasting
- 1 red onion, diced
- 1 14 ounce can cannellini beans
- 1/4 cup diced green bell pepper
- 1/2 an eggplant (should equal about 1 cup)
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon pine nuts
- 1 clove of garlic, crushed
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 cup classic hummus (or your favorite flavor hummus)
- 1 cup panko breadcrumbs
- tomato, sliced for topping, optional
- lettuce, for topping, optional
- To make the burgers, preheat your oven to 450°F.
- Roast the eggplant by cutting it into 1/4-inch slices and brushing each side with olive oil.
- Bake for 10 minutes on one side, then flip the slices and bake for another 5 minutes.
- Once the eggplant is done and you remove it from the oven, turn the oven down to 400°F.
- While the eggplant is roasting, place the diced red onion and 2 teaspoons of olive oil in a skillet and cook over medium heat for 15-20 minutes, stirring often, until the onions soften.
- Place the eggplant, onion, beans, bell pepper, parsley, pine nuts, garlic, sea salt, and cumin into a large bowl.
- Add the hummus and stir.
- Place the mixture into a food processor and blend everything together. It should only take about 15 seconds.
- Pour the mixture back into a bowl, stir in the breadcrumbs, and use your hands to make four large patties.
- Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil and spray the foil with olive oil or nonstick cooking spray.
- Place the patties on the foil and bake for 45 minutes, turning once halfway through.
- Remove the burgers from the oven, add your preferred toppings and enjoy!