Generally, when you think of sugar cookies, your brain is transported to memories filled with mountains of cookie cutters and sanding sugar. I’m not into that kind of sugar cookie. They’re too tedious. In my kitchen, those are to be reserved solely for holiday cookie baking extravaganzas. My preference? The Mrs. Field’s-esque crunchy on the edge, chewy in the middle, rainbow sprinkle-laden kind of sugar cookie. And that’s what we’ve got here, folks.
Chewy Sugar Cookies [Vegan]
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups white sugar
- 1/4 cup plain soy yogurt (or vegan sour cream)
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 6 tablespoons vegan butter (or margarine), melted
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon non-dairy milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Sprinkles (optional)
- In a medium sized bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt.
- In a large bowl, whisk together sugar, yogurt, cornstarch, melted butter, oil, milk, and vanilla.
- Pour dry ingredients into wet and stir to combine.
- Cover dough and chill for at least one hour.
- Preheat your oven to 350° and line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Roll cookie dough into balls and flatten slightly.
- If desired, press one side into sprinkles before placing on your cookie sheet.
- Bake for 10 minutes, or until bottoms are golden brown. Let cool five minutes on cookie sheets before moving to a cooling rack.