There are many reasons to choose non-dairy yogurt over the dairy version. This recipe is so amazing that you will find it hard to believe that it is not real dairy! It is perfectly tangy, creamy, and thick.
Homemade Tangy Soy Yogurt [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- 8 cups unsweetened soy milk
- 1 cup unsweetened soy yogurt
- Preheat the oven to 110°F.
- Measure one cup of the soy yogurt and put in a medium bowl and leave at room temperature.
- On stove, over medium heat, heat up the soy milk with a candy thermometer in the pot. Stir with a whisk contiuously so the milk doesn't burn. Warm until the thermometer reads 200°F.
- Continue to stir milk for another 10 minutes trying to keep around that temperature.
- Remove the milk from the stove and leave to cool until it is 112°F. Stir the milk often to prevent a film at the top from forming.
- Measure a cup of the warm milk and add it to the yogurt. Whisk gently and then add the yogurt milk mixture back into the pot and whisk to incorporate.
- Cover the pot with a lid and wrap with a towel. Place the pot inside the oven. Turn the oven off and turn the oven light on. The oven light will keep the oven at the perfect temperature for the yogurt to form. Do not open the oven until the yogurt is ready. Leave it to set for 10-12 hours.
- When the yogurt is set, remove it from the oven. Some of the whey might have separated on the top. Remove it or whisk it back into the yogurt.
- Store the yogurt in the refrigerator for up to a week.