A sandwich can be a masterpiece. They don't ever have to be boring, they can be bright, beautiful and absolutely delicious. This sandwich right here is all those things and more. Smoky, savory Portobello mushroom "bacon" is paired with salty olives, spicy arugula, crunchy greens, and a creamy avocado spread. This is a great go-to lunch that you can whip together for lunch the night before.
Portobello ‘Bacon’ Sandwich [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
For the Portobello Bacon:
- 2 small Portobello caps or 1 large cap, sliced
- A pinch applewood smoked salt (or sea salt)
- A drizzle of olive oil
- 1/8 teaspoon liquid smoke
- 1/2 teaspoon vegan Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon maple syrup
For the Avocado Spread:
- 1/2 mashed avocado
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin
- A pinch of salt
- A splash of orange juice
For the Sandwich:
- 2 slices of your favorite bread
- 3/4 cup (combined) pea shoots, arugula, and greens
- 5 green olives, pitted and finely diced
- 1/4 cup sliced roasted red and yellow peppers
To Make the Bacon:
- Heat a small pan over medium heat. Add all ingredients to pan and cook for 5-8 or so minutes, stirring and turning as needed until "bacon" begins to caramelize. Remove from pan and set aside. You will want the mushrooms to still maintain some plumpness/moisture.
To Make the Avocado Spread:
- In a small bowl mash avocado, stir in cumin, salt, and orange juice until nice and creamy in texture.
- Spread avocado spread on one side of each piece of bread. On one slice of bread, top avocado with greens, top the other slice with diced olives. Layer smoky Portobello bacon on top of the olives, then layer the red and yellow peppers on top of the smoky bacon. Place the slice of bread with the greens, facing down on top of the bacon, completing the sandwich.