Crunchy bite, subtly sweet, oaty goodness! Yum! These oat crunchie bars are the perfect companion to a cup of rooibos tea on a relaxing weekend day, leaving you feeling satisfied and nourished. Only plant-based goodness, with no preservatives! These bars help to fulfill your cravings for something sweet while being healthier than a prepackaged bar.
Oat and Spelt Crunchie Bars [Vegan]
- 1 cup course rolled oats
- 1 cup fine rolled oats
- 1 cup unbleached, desiccated coconut
- 1 cup wholemeal spelt flour
- 1/2 teaspoon Himalayan rock salt
- 3/4 cup vegan butter
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar
- 1/3 cup rice malt syrup
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- Preheat the oven to 340°F.
- Mix all the dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl.
- On a low/medium heat, melt the vegan butter, coconut sugar, and rice malt syrup in a small sauce pot.
- Once all has melted, use a whisk to mix. Remove from the heat and add the baking soda. Mix well. You'll notice a slight bubbling reaction taking place, which is totally normal.
- Pour the melted mixture into the bowl of dry ingredients and mix thoroughly.
- Once all combined, line a deep baking tray with baking paper. Spread the mixture evenly in the tray.
- Using a separate sheet of baking paper, place on top of the tray, and use your hands to firmly press the mixture tightly together. This helps to get an even, tight spread ensuring even baking.
- Once the oven has pre-heated, place the tray and bake for 10 minutes.
- Rotate the tray and turn the heat down to 285°F for 5 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and using a sharp knife, slice into bars. Pop back into the oven for another 3-4 minutes.
- Remove from oven and lift out the baking paper from the tray. Gently separate each bar and allow to cool fully. During the cooling stage, the bars become nice and crunchy. Store in an airtight container for up to four days.