This dish has just the right amount of sweetness to be a crowd hit. Apples and pecans are coated in a blend of holiday spices, to give them palette-pleasing depth of flavor. They're then layered with sweet potatoes and baked to perfection, ready to serve alongside roasted green vegetables like broccoli and brussels sprouts.
Holiday Sweet Potato Bake [Vegan]
Ingredients You Need for Holiday Sweet Potato Bake [Vegan]
- 4 large sweet potatoes
- 5 medium apples
- 1/2 cup fresh squeezed orange juice
- 2 tablespoons arrowroot starch, tapioca, or potato starch also work fine
- 1 cup finely chopped raw pecans
- 3 tablespoons coconut sugar
- 1 teaspoon stevia powder
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/ 4 cup coconut oil
- 1/2 teaspoon Himalayan pink sea salt or Celtic sea salt
How to Prepare Holiday Sweet Potato Bake [Vegan]
- Preheat oven to 375°F
- Peel the sweet potatoes. Peel and core the apples.
- Using a slice blade in a food processor, slice the potatoes, and apples. You don't have to use a food processor, but this saves a lot of time.
- In a medium saucepan, add half the coconut oil starch, juice, sugar, and spices and mix well. Stir over medium heat until starch thickens.
- Add the apples and pecans to the saucepan and stir to coat.
- In a lightly greased 13x15-inch baking pan layer the sweet potatoes and half the apple mixture, stirring slightly to blend the ingredients well.
- Pour the remaining coconut oil over the sweet potatoes and top with the remaining apple mixture. Sprinkle with the salt and spread the apples around a bit.
- Cover with foil and bake for 1 1/2 hours at 375°F. Enjoy warm or cold.
Report Recipe Issue
Please report any concerns about this recipe below!
Is there an issue with this recipe?
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.