This dish has just the right amount of sweetness to be a crowd hit. Apples and pecans are coated in a blend of holiday spices, to give them palette-pleasing depth of flavor. They're then layered with sweet potatoes and baked to perfection, ready to serve alongside roasted green vegetables like broccoli and brussels sprouts.
Holiday Sweet Potato Bake [Vegan]
- 4 large sweet potatoes
- 5 medium apples
- 1/2 cup fresh squeezed orange juice
- 2 tablespoons arrowroot starch, tapioca, or potato starch also work fine
- 1 cup finely chopped raw pecans
- 3 tablespoons coconut sugar
- 1 teaspoon stevia powder
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/ 4 cup coconut oil
- 1/2 teaspoon Himalayan pink sea salt or Celtic sea salt
- Preheat oven to 375°F
- Peel the sweet potatoes. Peel and core the apples.
- Using a slice blade in a food processor, slice the potatoes, and apples. You don't have to use a food processor, but this saves a lot of time.
- In a medium saucepan, add half the coconut oil starch, juice, sugar, and spices and mix well. Stir over medium heat until starch thickens.
- Add the apples and pecans to the saucepan and stir to coat.
- In a lightly greased 13x15-inch baking pan layer the sweet potatoes and half the apple mixture, stirring slightly to blend the ingredients well.
- Pour the remaining coconut oil over the sweet potatoes and top with the remaining apple mixture. Sprinkle with the salt and spread the apples around a bit.
- Cover with foil and bake for 1 1/2 hours at 375°F. Enjoy warm or cold.