Using mushrooms gives this burger a meaty-like texture and taste. They hold together really well, with minimal cracking, but always handle them carefully because they are veggie burgers after all! It’s best to chop up all the veggies the same size, preferably really small. I chopped most of the veggies this time, except for the carrots, I used a food processor, as well as the black beans. If using a food processor, be careful not to pulse the veggies too many times as they can become watery and soupy.
Hefty, Hearty Mushroom Burgers [Vegan]
- 3 cups baby bella mushrooms, finely diced (about 1 8oz. pack)
- 2 cups red onion, finely diced (about 1/2 of a red onion)
- 1/2 of a jalapeño, finely diced (optional, but adds a nice spice)
- 2 tablespoons vegan butter or spray oil of choice
- couple pinches of sea salt and black pepper, to taste
- 1 1/4 cups oat flour (or ground oats)
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley (or fresh is better if you have it)
- 1 large carrot, roughly chopped
- 1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
- sea salt and pepper, to taste
- In a preheated pan, spray oil or melt the butter, then add diced mushrooms, onion and jalapeño. Add pinch of sea salt and pepper. Sauté for about 8 minutes, until mushrooms are cooked and soft.
- Add oat flour to a large bowl. If you don't have oat flour, add oats to food processor and pulse until oats become a fine flour. Add to bowl along with cumin and parsley. Mix.
- Add roughly chopped carrot to food processor and pulse until finely shredded. Add to large bowl with oat flour. Mix well.
- Add black beans to food processor and pulse until smooth, a few small chunks is fine, you don't want to over process. Add to bowl and mix everything together.
- Add in mushrooms, onion and jalapeño from pan to bowl and mix everything together, really well. Add salt and pepper to taste. The mixture will be chunky and sticky. Form into about 6 patties.
- Reheat pan on medium-high heat and spray more oil (if needed), then add patties. I cooked 3 patties at a time, depends on your pan size. Cook for about 4-5 minutes on each side, and flip, until golden brown and firm.
- Serve in a lettuce wrap or on a bun with your favorite toppings!
To ensure that the recipe contains no trace gluten, be sure to choose certified gluten-free oats.