A hearty, flavourful lentil soup recipe for the Instant Pot. Let this soup sit for a couple of hours to allow the flavors to blend. Refrigerate until later or reheat to serve. Serve with a crusty roll and a side salad. It is well worth the wait.
Hearty Red Lentil and Sweet Potato Instant Pot Soup [Vegan]
- 1 tablespoon oil (optional)
- 2 onions, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, pressed
- 1 fennel bulb, chopped (cut and remove small core first)
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 and 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 and 1/2 cups carrots (chopped into larger bite-sized pieces)
- 2 and 1/2 cups (chopped into larger bite-sized pieces) orange sweet potatoes
- 1 cup of dried red lentils
- 1 28-ounce can of crushed tomatoes
- 5 cups vegetable broth
- 1 and 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1/2 cup chopped parsley
- Set up your instant pot and with the lid off, hit the sauté button.
- Once hot add your oil (optional) and allow it to heat up.
- Saute your onions and fennel for about 2 minutes, stirring a couple of times.
- Add your pressed garlic, cumin and coriander and cook for another minute until fragrant.
- Add your chopped carrots, sweet potato and dried red lentils. Stir well to combine.
- Add your crushed tomatoes and vegetable broth and stir well.
- Put the lid on your Instant Pot, lock into place and using the 'Soup' button set it for 6 minutes.
- Once done allow it to naturally release pressure for about 10 minutes and the vent it to release any remaining steam.
- Once pressure is released, turn off the instant pot and remove the lid.
- Add 1 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1/4 teaspoon pepper, 2 tablesoon of brown sugar (this is necessary to decrease the acidity of the tomatoes), and the 1/2 cup chopped parsley. Stir well to combine.
- Allow the soup time to sit for a couple of hours to allow the flavors to blend.
- Refrigerate until later or reheat to serve.