Making vegan grilled cheese without nuts or soy can be tricky, this recipe recreates the sandwich we all know and love without either! It combines vegetables, sunflower seeds, and a little bit of nutritional yeast for extra cheesy flavor, resulting in an ooey-gooey sandwich that's perfect for dipping in tomato soup.
Gooey Grilled Cheese Sandwich [Vegan]
- 1/3 cup peeled and diced onion
- 1 2/3 cups finely diced sweet potatoes
- 1/4 cup diced fresh carrot
- 2/3 cup hot water from the boiling vegetables
- 1/2 cup raw sunflower seeds
- 1/4 cup non-dairy milk, or canned coconut milk
- 1/3 cup nutritional yeast flakes
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice (optional)
- 1 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 teaspoon coarse ground mustard
- 1 loaf of bread of your choice
- Olive oil, coconut oil, or vegan butter
- Bring 3 cups of water to a boil in a stock pot. Add potatoes, carrots, and onions to the boiling water, and cook about 10 minutes, or until fork-tender.
- Add 2/3 cup water from the vegetables into a blender. Add sunflower seeds, coconut milk, nutritional yeast, lemon, salt, garlic powder, and mustard, then blend well. Spoon the tender vegetables in and blend again.
- Heat a skillet over medium-high heat. Brush oil over the bread, place one slice, oiled-side down, on the pan. Spoon the vegetable mixture onto the bread and spread evenly. Top with second side of bread and cook until golden brown on each side, 1-3 minutes.