These are the best and easiest one bowl gluten-free vegan peanut butter cookies. They’re soft melt in your mouth delicious. Made with six simple whole food ingredients, they’re dairy free, oil free, and gluten-free.
Gluten-Free Peanut Butter Cookies [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- 1 cup organic peanut butter creamy or crunchy
- 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoon unsweetened almond milk
- 1/4 cup + 2 tablespoon brown rice flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2/3 cup coconut sugar plus extra to roll in the dough
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 350° F. Combine wet ingredients in your bowl (peanut butter, vanilla extract, applesauce, and almond milk). If peanut butter is thick and not easy to combine, warm it in the microwave for 30 seconds or until it softens. Add 1 tablespoon of almond milk to help make it smoother.
- Add flour, baking soda, and coconut sugar. Stir with spatula until combined. Batter will be crumbly. That’s normal.
- Scoop a tablespoon amount of dough and roll into a ball. If you choose, you can roll the balls in coconut sugar. Place 2 inches apart on baking sheet.
- When all the balls are rolled out gently press down to flatten with a fork.
- Bake at 350° F for 8 minutes. Take out and allow to cool completely before removing them from the cookie sheet.
Different brands of peanut butter have different consistencies. The first batch of this used the peanut butter from the bottom of a jar. It was drier than the typical spreadable peanut butter. That contributed to my first batch turning out crumbly. If you use a drier peanut butter add a bit more almond milk for more moisture. Different gluten-free flours can also react differently in the baking process. Brown rice flour works well, but a different type of gluten-free flour may absorb the liquid more which would result in you needing to add more moisture. If your dough is crumbly and doesn’t stick together when you roll it into a ball that means you need to add more almond milk. Try adding 1 tablespoon at a time until you reach a consistency that easily sticks together.
- Peanut Butter