When I traveled to Greece, I sampled several vegan versions of stuffed vegetables. Greek rice stuffed peppers was one of my favorites. I switched out the traditional Arborio rice for brown rice to make this a whole grain version. If you like the combination of lemon and dill, you’re going to love these.
Greek Rice Stuffed Peppers [Vegan]
Ingredients You Need for Greek Rice Stuffed Peppers [Vegan]
- 6 large or 8 small bell peppers (any color but green)
- 1 large onion, diced
- 3 medium carrots, peeled and diced
- 3 small zucchinis, peeled and diced
- 1 cup / 236 ml. vegetable broth
- 3 cups cooked brown rice
- 5 Tbsp. tomato paste
- 3/4 cup whole fresh parsley, de-stemmed and chopped
- 3/4 cup whole fresh dill, de-stemmed and chopped
- 1/2-1 lemon, juiced
- 1/4 tsp. fresh ground pepper
- 3/4 tsp. Herbamare or salt (or to taste)
- 1 lemon—cut into wedges (optional)
How to Prepare Greek Rice Stuffed Peppers [Vegan]
- Preheat oven to 350 F /175 C. Cut tops off of peppers like you would a jack-o-lantern, remove seeds, and wash thoroughly.
- Place in an oven safe dish arranged upright and put tops back on. Bake for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a large pan, saut. onions, carrots and zucchini in vegetable broth for 5-6 minutes.
- Stir in the rice and tomato paste and coat thoroughly.
- Add parsley, dill, lemon juice, pepper, and Herbamare or salt and stir to combine.
- When peppers are ready, remove from oven and fill with stuffing.
- Place tops back on peppers and bake for an extra 30-40 minutes until peppers are soft.
- Serve additional wedges of lemon if desired.
Don’t use green peppers. Green peppers are unripe and much harder. They will not be done in time if you cook them along with red, yellow or orange peppers. Additionally you can substitute white rice for the brown if you like.
Report Recipe Issue
Please report any concerns about this recipe below!
Is there an issue with this recipe?
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.