Tempeh is a nutrient dense, high protein, high fibre, wholesome fermented food. It’s usually sold in a rectangular cake and can be found in the refrigerated or frozen section of the grocery store (oh and it’s super cheap!) It’s a traditional Indonesian food that is made from partially cooked whole soybeans that are left to ferment in warm temperatures. There are many health benefits to eating fermented soy or tempeh as the fermentation process actually adds nutrition, and minerals such as calcium, iron and zinc become more available for the body to use. Still it has to taste good or who cares, right?! That's why you have to try this Curried Tempeh Salad Sandwich! It’s super yummy, hearty, sweet, spicy and has crunch. It can be used as a tasty plant based alternative to a chicken salad sandwich.
Curried Tempeh Salad Sandwich [Vegan]
- 2 packages of plain tempeh
- 1/2 cup vegan Mayo
- 3 stalks celery diced
- 1 chopped apple
- handful of raisins
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts
- 2 teaspoons curry powder (or more to taste)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- pepper to taste
- Steam the tempeh in a steamer basket for 10 minutes to remove the bitterness.
- Cool the tempeh.
- Add all other ingredients to a bowl and stir to combine.
- Shred the tempeh with a cheese grater into the bowl and mix well.
- Use as sandwich filling or serve on a bed of lettuce.