Now that the weather is cooling down and our desire to get cozy in our warm blankets is increasing, it's time for some warm, flavorful, and lip smacking soup to be included on the menu. To spice up this soup, I used a Cajun spice blend that filled my home with an irresistible aroma.
Cajun Spiced Barley Kale Soup [Vegan]
Ingredients You Need for Cajun Spiced Barley Kale Soup [Vegan]
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon fresh tarragon
- 1 1/2 cup baby kale (chopped)
- 1/2 cups unsweetened coconut milk
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1/4 teaspoon Cajun spice
- 1/2 cup pearled barley (rinsed)
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 1 teaspoon white sesame seeds
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
How to Prepare Cajun Spiced Barley Kale Soup [Vegan]
- Heat oil in a pan and add tarragon. Immediately add kale and mix well so that kale is well coated with herbed oil.
- Now add coconut milk and cook until baby kale is tender. Cool and blend it to a smooth puree.
- Bring water to boil in a saucepan. Add Cajun spice and barley and cook until the barley is tender, soft and chewy. Most of the water may be absorbed and if there is any water left over, cover it and let the barley stand in the pan for few minutes for it to dry.
- Now heat a nonstick pan again and add vegetable broth, sesame seeds, salt and black pepper add bring it first boil. (No oil required in this step).
- Now add the kale puree and barley and cook for couple of minutes.
- Serve immediately.
Leftover soup can be stored in a glass container in the refrigerator for 4-5 days. The barley may absorb some of the liquid. If you do not plan to consume the soup immediately, cook the barley separately and refrigerate until you're ready to use it in the soup.
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.