These cheesy fried potatoes are guaranteed to make you friend, impress in-laws, and solve relationship problems – maybe they can't do all that, but they're pretty darn good. These homemade croquettes are filled with soft mashed potato, vegan cream cheese, herbs, and spices, coated with a crispy cornmeal, deep-fried coating. It's a great dish put out at a part.
‘Cheesy’ Fried Potato Croquettes [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- 2 pounds plus 3 ounces ounces potatoes (russets if you have them)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup vegan cream cheese
- 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast flakes
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/4 cup parsley, chopped
- 4 1/4 cups vegetable oil (for frying)
- 1/2 cup non-dairy milk
- 1/2 cup corn flour
- 1 cup coarse cornmeal
- Firstly, peel all of your potatoes and get rid of any 'bad bits, then chop them into quarters.
- Place them in a saucepan and cover them with water until the potatoes are completely submerged with a pinch of salt.
- Bring them to a light boil and cook them for 20-30 minutes, they should be soft to pierce all the way through the potato.
- Drain the potatoes and mash them until no lumps remain.
- Then add the cream cheese, yeast flakes, garlic powder, pepper, paprika and parsley to the potatoes and stir them thoroughly.
- When the potatoes are cool enough, take a gold ball sized bit of mashed potato and roll into a plump, short croquette. Repeat this until all has the dough been used.
- Separate the non-dairy milk, corn flour, and cornmeal in separate bowls.
- Firstly dredge the croquette in cornflour, then the milk, then roll it in the cornmeal.
- Set this aside and repeat the process with each croquette.
- In the meantime, begin heating the oil. Toss a small bit of the mashed potato in the oil - it should sizzle and rise to the top of the oil.
- In batches, drop the croquettes into the oil and turn after 3-4 minutes. They should be golden brown and hot through.
- Once they are all cooked, serve them immediately with a dipping sauce of your choice.