Cheesy Broccoli Soup is great for a cold day. It is vegan so it gets the cheesy flavour from nutritional yeast. It also contains garlic and cayenne pepper which both have amazing healing properties. Herbs and spices also offer a wide range of healing properties from easing digestion to reducing inflammation.
Cheesy Broccoli Soup [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- 1 teaspoon coconut oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 big broccoli florets, chopped (4 1/2 cups)
- 2 potatoes, peeled and chopped (1.2 cups)
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 1 cup nut milk
- 1/4-1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 cup cashew butter
- 3/4 cups nutritional yeast
- 1/2 tablespoon lemon juice
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Place oil in a large pot and heat to medium heat. Add onions and sauté for 5 minutes until soft. Now add garlic, and sauté until fragrant, 1 minute.
- Add broccoli, potatoes, broth, nut milk, cayenne pepper, garlic powder, and onion powder and bring to a boil. Lower the heat and cook until potatoes are soft, roughly 15 minutes.
- Add cashew butter, nutritional yeast, lemon juice, salt, and pepper. Purée the soup in batches in a food processor or with an immersion blender.
- Top with roasted broccoli, roasted potatoes, nutritional yeast, and pepper.