This vegan broccoli and cheese soup is so thick, rich, and creamy you would never know it’s dairy-free! Made with less than 10 ingredients, including cashews (for creaminess) and vegetable broth (for savory flavor), this dish is super easy to whip up. Enjoy this comforting soup on its own or serve it with toasted bread for dipping.
Cheesy Broccoli Soup [Vegan]
- 2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup minced onion
- 1 1/2 cups broccoli, roughly chopped
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 cup roasted cashews, soaked overnight
- 1/2 cup plus 3 tablespoons unsweetened almond milk
- 6 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 1 to 1 1/4 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- Pepper, to taste
- Heat the olive oil in a medium pot on medium-high heat. Add the minced onion and cook until lightly golden, about 1-2 minutes.
- Add in the broccoli and cook for 1 minute. Pour in the stock, reduce the heat to medium and simmer while you make the cream.
- Drain the water from the cashews and place them into a high-powered blender along with the rest of the remaining ingredients.
- Blend until smooth and creamy, stopping to scrape down the sides as necessary.
- Pour the cream into the soup, raise the temperature to medium and simmer until thickened, only 1-2 minutes more. Season to taste with salt and pepper as needed.