Cheeseburgers and mac and cheese are two of the most common comfort foods. On their own, they're delicious. And together? Well, try out this recipe and you'll find out! It includes macaroni pasta smothered in rich, creamy, and yes, life-changing, cheese sauce. Not to mention, a hefty portion of ground beef-style crumbles. Indulge away!
Cheeseburger Mac and Cheese [Vegan]
- 1 batch Life-Changing Vegan Cheese Sauce
- 1 cup textured vegetable protein (TVP)
- 16 ounces gluten-free pasta, cooked
- 2 tablespoons of your favorite oil
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- A pinch of red pepper flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon liquid smoke
- 1 teaspoon low-sodium soy sauce, or tamari sauce
- 1/2 of a 6-ounce can salt-free tomato paste
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk
- Make a batch of Vegan Cheese Sauce. While that's making, boil water for the pasta and rehydrate the TVP if you're using it.
- Heat the oil on medium-low in a large nonstick saucepan. Add the chili powder, onion powder, garlic powder, smoked paprika, and red pepper flakes and let them bloom for a minute or two. Add the textured vegetable protein and sauté for about 5 minutes.
- When the cheese sauce is done, stir it into the pan along with the liquid smoke, soy sauce, tomato paste, and almond milk. Turn the heat to low and let everything simmer until the pasta's done. When it's done and drained, fold it in.