Caramel isn't just for topping apples and ice cream. This cookie dough gets its depth from it and then gets complimented with a melty marshmallow to finish things off.
Caramel Fluffernutter Chocolate Chip Cookies [Vegan]
- 1/2 cup vegan butter or organic vegetable shortening
- 3/4 cup brown sugar packed
- 1/4 prepared caramel sauce
- 1/4 cup + 2 tablespoons applesauce or pumpkin puree
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup unsweetened natural peanut butter or 2/3 crunchy
- 3 cups all purpose flour
- 1 1/4 cups dairy-free semi-sweet chocolate chips or chopped chocolate
- 2 cups gelatin-free marshmallows cut in half
Pre-heat oven to 350ºF and beat butter and sugar in the bowl of stand mixer and mix on low until creamed in, then stop and scrape sides of bowl. Add caramel and applesauce while stirring and mix until combined, then add vanilla, soda, and salt. Mix in peanut butter until mixed then add flour one cup at a time and stir after each addition until you have a thick dough, then mix in chocolate chips.
Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper or sil pads. Roll dough into 1 inch balls and use your thumb to make deep indentions on top of each. Place them about 2 inches apart on baking sheet and bake for 7 to 9 minutes until edges start to turn golden brown. Remove from oven and top each with a marshmallow then allow to cool for about 5 minutes before moving cookies to cooling rack to finish (if they make it that far past your mouth!).