It seems like every region of the country has their preferred ways of dressing up their hot dogs. These California dogs come dressed with avocado, basil crema, carrot, roasted corn, lettuce, cucumber, jalapeño and vegan bacon. With all these fresh and savory add-ons, you're veggie dog will be boring no more!
California-Style Veggie Dogs [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
For the Basil Crema:
- 4 tablespoons vegan sour cream
- 4 tablespoons chopped basil leaves
- 2 scallions, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon juice
- Sea salt and black pepper
For the Toppings:
- 1/2 cup corn kernels
- 1/2 avocado, sliced
- 1/2 cup shredded lettuce
- 1/2 jalapeño, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cucumber, diced
- 1/2 carrot, finely shredded
- 2 slices vegan bacon, fried and chopped
- 4 gluten-free hot dog buns, toasted
- 4 veggie dogs, pan-fried or grilled
- To make the basil crema, combine the sour cream, basil, scallion, garlic, lemon juice, salt, and pepper in a food processor. Process until smooth. Set aside.
- Heat a medium skillet over medium heat. Add the corn and cook until golden, about 5 minutes. Set aside. Cook the dogs in a 1/4 teaspoon oil, if desired.
- Assemble the sandwiches and arrange the toppings however you like.